Castledine or Weaver Vibe

What's Hot
rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 38
edited July 18 in FX
I know this has been asked many times about which Vibe is the best. But I am looking at two specific pedals.

My short list is:
  • R Weaver Midnight Vibe v2
  • Castledine Supra Vibe
  • Formula B Vintage Vibe
  • Horrothia Berkely.
I had discounted the Castledine as I'd tried to contact Stu for several weeks with no response. Then yesterday he replied saying he can build one in a week or so. So that's back on the list.

Rick Weaver has been very responsive, and I have the opportunity of a used Midnight v2 at a good price already in the UK, or I can take the risk and order directly from Rick (which I'd actually prefer to do as he's been so helpful).

The Formula B is a nice small real lamp vibe, at a great price, and Boost pedals will have stock next week. The videos I've seen sound a little weak on this one.
And, finally, the Berkely looks good, but doesn't sound that vibey on some videos, it sounds a bit weak and phaser like.

So I am really leaning towards the Castledine or Weaver even though they are 18V and large - it's no issue for me as I only play at home.

I am looking for a vibe that is flexible and can do subtle as well as throbby. My reservation with the Midnight is that it could be too throbby - I know that's a contradiction when talking about Vibes!!

I know a couple guys here like the Castledine, and several have the Weaver. So would welcome some feedback.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3464
    I’ve not tried the Weaver but did have a Castledine and regret selling it. Great sounding vibe.

The Horrothia looks cool but it’s not a true lamp based vibe yet still costs a load.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3093
    Have you tried the DryBell? It sounds great, to my ears.

• rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 38

I tried a used Drybell v2 last year. I'm fairly sure something was wrong with it as, to me, it didn't sound like a vibe at all. It was almost non-existent. The side controls had been played with a lot, so I decided to not keep it. I've not been keen to try one again.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1406
    i'd go with castledine. his builds are quality.
    roger mayer voodoo vibe is not a strict vintage-adherent vibe but they do sound fantastic.
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 403
    I’ve had the Castledine (around 10 yrs ago now) and have the Weaver at the moment. I wasn’t blown away by the Castledine, but looking back now I do wonder if maybe the power supply I was using at the time (Voodoo Labs iso-5) wasn’t delivering enough mA or something. I might have to revisit it at some point as they’re very highly regarded and everything else of Stu’s I’ve tried has been great.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3093
    I tried a used Drybell v2 last year. I'm fairly sure something was wrong with it as, to me, it didn't sound like a vibe at all. It was almost non-existent. The side controls had been played with a lot, so I decided to not keep it. I've not been keen to try one again.
    I've had a very early V1, then a later V1, then a v2, and a v3. I'd say the v2 was the weakest of the three, and the v3 is much better.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3339
    tFB Trader
    I tried a flattley vibe last weekend and I really liked it, just a suggestion.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1183
    Sorry to suggest something outside of what you’re asking but I once had a Classic Vibe cv-2 and it haunts me 
    Alex2678 said:
    Sorry to suggest something outside of what you’re asking but I once had a Classic Vibe cv-2 and it haunts me 
    I've heard they were supposed to be good. But as far as I know they're not being made now and almost never available used in the UK.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 269
    Roger Mayer voodoo vibe 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7068
    edited July 19
    I have owned both. I have owned a Castledine, sold and bought a Weaver and now own a Castledine again. 

The Weaver does the Hendrix thing very well. Super deep throbbiness. If it's the one thing you want it for you will not be disappointed. 

However the Castledine does the Hendrix thing very well along with all manner of subtler shades. Plus the Vibrato mode which I never thought I'd use is beautiful. 

I've had all 3 versions of the Drybell and whilst it sounds good and has lots of functionality and is lovely and compact the core tone isn't anywhere near the big boys. It's perfect if you use vibe for like 1 or 2 tracks. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    edited July 19
    Thanks @soma1975 ;;
    It's actually your comments that made me a little concerned that the Weaver would be too over powering. Although he has introduced the v2 (from end of 2022) which is supposed to sound a little different, more clarity, high end and less muddy.
    Rick has been really helpful, he's answered my questions within a couple hours (not bad considering he's on US Eastern time).

Castledine has been very difficult to communicate with. It took 6 weeks just to get a reply (I sent several emails and Instagram messages). When I did get a reply, I asked how to order, and I've not heard from him since.

I do appreciate your comments as you've had both pedals and sounds like we have similar goals in this respect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7068
    I think Stu is like 400 years old and spends most of his time making those £1500 tonebenders and no doubt has 8 gazillion emails about them every day. 

Might be worth putting up an alert on Reverb for one. As it stands I've recently been hard up and was seriously contemplating selling mine but no way I'd let it go for under £400. Even then it feels like it would cost more to replace it with something of equal quality. I imagine they will only appreciate. 

Rick's a good guy. He's convinced his way is the wright way which I suppose is what you want from a builder. 

You won't go wrong with either option. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • WTB22WTB22 Frets: 70
    I very recently had the Weaver, ended up returning it (nothing to do with the sound, quality or performance of the unit) but I’m planning to buy one back soon. They sound amazing. I’ve owned a few different ones and played a bunch more belonging to friends including the Castledine, and for me the Midnight Vibe is THE Uni-Vibe sound, to my ears. The rest I’ve owned/tried have all been pretty good but the Weaver is the first one I’ve tried that just does the thing straight out of the box, really hard to find a fault with it. Nails Gilmour, Hendrix/Trower, lovely Landau-esque tones with the Vibrato mode too. It’s all in the low end throb and having that volume control on there, and for me the ultimate Vibe test is the opening chords from Breathe. That big low E ringing out. Others I’ve tried cut lows and feel like they drop in volume slightly, not ideal especially with an OD or Fuzz. 

Can’t comment too much on the Castledine as it was a while ago but I do remember feeling it was slightly more on the subtler side. 

I would still like to try the Effectrode Tube Vibe with Brimars someday, very intrigued by that one.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1097
    Haven't used the Weaver, but the Castledine is insanely good. As had been mentioned, setting vibrato mode subtly is fantastic.
    Thanks guys. Looks like it will be the Weaver. 
    The Castledine does look good, and it's in the UK. But not being able to get a response from a builder when you're looking to buy something doesn't reflect well.
    Midnight Vibe in limited run Satin Black ordered direct from Rick. Should have it in a couple weeks.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5361
    Took delivery of a Violet Vibe yesterday which sounds fantastic