Early Teenage Fanclub - Peel Sessions

What's Hot
Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 373
edited July 20 in Music
I never knew this existed, it must have been recorded about 14 or 15  months before the release of Bandwagonesque.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1714
    Those Maida Vale engineers in the early 90d really knew how to record a band didn’t they?

For whatever reason it never struck me how much early TFC sounded like a less audibly cryptic Dinosaur Jr
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1659
    That's a good description.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1603
    Interesting to hear an earlier version of Alcoholiday, which has always been a fave of mine
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1468
    edited July 20
    I've always loved their cover of Alex Chilton's Free Again..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_G7Bt1ijog
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 373
    horse said:
    Interesting to hear an earlier version of Alcoholiday, which has always been a fave of mine
    Different lyrics too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 429
    This is cool, thanks for sharing!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2684
    This is the version of the Fannies I was acquainted with. Tbh I was less enamoured with Bandwagonesque because it lack the energy of the early gigs and first album. I was wrong - they were right.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73539
    They’re a band I’ve really tried to like - I’ve always felt I really should - but just can’t. I find them incredibly frustrating… a band in an endless search for one great song and never quite getting there, although maddeningly close with so many - to the point I now actually find them irritating. I’ve seen them live twice and felt the same there too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 373
    edited July 26
    ICBM said:
    They’re a band I’ve really tried to like - I’ve always felt I really should - but just can’t. I find them incredibly frustrating… a band in an endless search for one great song and never quite getting there, although maddeningly close with so many - to the point I now actually find them irritating. I’ve seen them live twice and felt the same there too.
    I've always thought of them as a band with ideas that were worth borrowing. Creation Records was a great label for guitar based music during that era.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1603
    ICBM said:
     At first I was surprised to read that - I think they've lot loads of great songs.

But thinking about it more I think I generally just really love the sound they make, and that makes a lot of their songs great to me. Plus songs that are firmly placed in nostalgic times in my life.

I've always felt a lot of soul in their music. Like a yearning quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 429
    edited July 26
    I find bandwagonesque a bit difficult at times, but the raw energy is amazing.

The album run of Thirteen/Grand Prix/Northern Britain is almost perfect. If only thirteen had better production, and I’ve found Grand Prix actually a little difficult to listen to these days unless I’m in the right mood.

something fun: when the Byrds literally gave teenage fanclub their chorus template (from 0:30 onwards)  https://youtu.be/nu0Hd3gPbLQ?si=N-hTIQCTK5IVDhlT