Ray Reardon RIP

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• pruddprudd Frets: 682
    There is a program about Ray on bbc 1 late tonight, well it is here in Wales :)

A proper legend. RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2897
    Philly_Q said:
    He wasn't immortal after all then?
    Just looked at world champion winners in the 70's and I can't recall watching any of them win - Don't recall what TV coverage we had then - But can recall that year (1980) and Cliff Thorburn beating Alex - It was certainly a 'where were you when ' moment in time because of that 'interruption' and the SAS knock at the door and can we come in
    I don't think there was really any significant TV coverage of snooker in the 1970s, other than Pot Black.  When Terry Griffiths won the world championship, as a qualifier, in 1979 (the year I did my O Levels) it was big news in South Wales but I didn't see any of it on TV.  However, Wikipedia tells me that by that time the BBC had daily highlights programmes and limited coverage of the final.

Still remember old Ray as a familiar figure in the 1980s though, and John Virgo's impressions of him.

RIP
    That was the first year I remember it being on telly
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1697
    edited July 22

^ What an incredibly tough mindset that incident in the pit must have taken - and yet he always came across as such a gentle and polite chap.

RIP The Count
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9836
    prudd said:
    There is a program about Ray on bbc 1 late tonight, well it is here in Wales :)
    I saw that, it was excellent. Showed him to be the absolute gent and hugely likeable, talented man that he was. He still had that twinkle in his eye when doing trick shots (the programme was made 2 years ago). Look for it on iPlayer.