Ironman II Mini just to knock a few dB off 15w master volume amp at home?

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 839
edited July 21 in Amps
I’m pondering the potential benefit of an Ironman ii mini just so I can run my Orange lunchbox at 2 or 3 on the master (as I’ve been doing at band practice, at which level it seems very happy) rather than just off the stops. 

At the moment I’ve been running a multi fx in the loop, and using the unit’s own output as a second master volume à la DSL40, which works better than simply running the amp’s master at 0.25 as it keeps the clarity - presumably due to decent buffering?

Just wondering if there would be a noticeable difference in response what with the Ironman mini’s frequency compensation et al? Or would it just sound the same as dropping the level in the loop as I’ve been doing? One advantage is that it would allow me to use individual pedals in the loop if I fancied. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3464
    edited July 21
    IME the mini II does affect the tone noticeably, but…so has every other attenuator I’ve tried. It’s good at knocking off a few db but…so are many other attenuators  

I like mine but it’s not noticeably better to my ears than the THD and Marshall units I’ve had before. With some amps it has the affect of making them seem gain-ier than they are, and it definitely does something to the treble (dulls it IMO, which is odd because it has a presence cut option on it, suggesting in some use cases it adds top end).

Were I choosing now, I’d just get a powerbrake.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 839
    Hmm… I might try some mild EQ tweaks in the loop then. 
  • FlotsamFlotsam Frets: 54
    edited July 24
    I have one and I think it’s great.
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 154
    For 15w I'd also look at a swart nightlite. I use one in my tweed combo. On its minimum setting it drops 2 or 3db which is often enough to tame things 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4428
    For 15w I'd also look at a swart nightlite. I use one in my tweed combo. On its minimum setting it drops 2 or 3db which is often enough to tame things 
    Came here to say this. You also get a switchable squashy compressor into the bargain.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 879
    Calling @soma1975 ;
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7067
    Already offered my thoughts in a PM. Tbf you've heard it with the attenuator a few times. It's fine, right?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom