1960s Fender Bass ?

What's Hot
woodwormwoodworm Frets: 6
edited July 23 in Bass

A friend came across this " 1960s Bass online " ... From what I can see from the photos it  has a had a refin to the neck and bod but I am no expert on vintage Fenders but also rosewood just above the nut does not look the right shape for this era - also the font on the serial does not look right..

He went and viewed the bass but they did not allow it to be dismantled 
Too much of a gamble ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 169
    It look real to me, the later 62 necks did have rosewood boards that looked like that, just after the slab ones were made (changed production method mid-62) and the serial number looks fine to me, and is approx. the right area for a late 62, maybe August/Sept but they can vary. The pick guard looks real, the body is the biggest issue in having that Di socket installed. It isn't ever going to be original again, and has had a lot of mods. So should never be expensive. The re-done finish looks yucky. If you are prepared to live with it as it stands, and the neck is straight, it is probably OK if cheap enough. If the pickup is original it should sound great, and that's the main thing with these. If it plays well and sounds good, close your eyes and enjoy. It's about the best era for a P Bass. I have a 64 that is unmatched for tone, and better than my 57 which is saying something. Otherwise you could think about a used USA re-issue. I'd always play it first for a few minutes, you'll soon know. Good luck!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    What he said.

The bridge is too shiny. The refin is embarrassing. Everything else looks right for '62/63.

A refinished/refurbished example is never going to attract top Dollar collector prices. A genuine '62 original for the price of a present day re-issue should be a no-brainer.

Numbers on the neck and body refer to when those parts were manufactured rather than when they underwent final assembly. (My factory fretless P is a late 1978 neck on a February 1979 body.

I have an AV'63 re-issue. This has the "rounded laminate" fingerboard. The truss rod adjuster is entirely within the maple. The edge of the drilled hole just touches the rosewood.

I ought to look into Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Of Bass for comparable Fender basses.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73537
    Looks right to me - the round-lam fingerboard is very unlikely to be faked as they're a *lot* harder to make. If it's a '62 it's one of the earliest round-lams, as they were introduced that year.

However, it's been badly refinished, badly refretted, the headstock has been partially broken and repaired reasonably well but not perfectly, the body drilled for the XLR socket, and the bridge replaced.

The pickguard is definitely correct and may be the single most valuable part.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• woodwormwoodworm Frets: 6
    edited July 22
    Thanks . It is just a shame the auction house does not allow the pickguard to be removed to check if there has been an other repairs / mods under the guard ... Currently at £1800 + commission which seems ok .. next bid is 2k though then increments of £200 ..  As is what sort of price should he be looking to pay to make it still "cheap"? he wants to get it refinished and refretted so would need to factor this in aswell ... 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73537
    I wouldn't even pay that much for it - it needs completely rebuilding which will be quite costly, and even then it will always be at best a 'restored player grade' bass. Bear in mind there's a buyer's fee on top if it sells at auction too, another 10% or more.

Of course, it may be a wonderful instrument, in which case he will have to decide how much that's worth to him above its monetary value. If it isn't, don't even bother. Too many buyers get starry-eyed about basket cases of "vintage" instruments.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I agree with ICBM, good advice, there are often P Basses from 66-69 with maybe just a body refinish, and they can be really nice, and less pricey. But you have to wait until something suitable turns up. I'd be nervous about spending more than 2k plus costs on this one as it is a bit of an unknown. Proper shop dealers are often the best source, as you can buy with a bit of confidence. 
    Just noticed the reference to Geddy's book. I should have said that I also own the fiesta red P Bass that is pictured with Geddy & Alan Rogan in that book (worth getting). Another killer bass. May have a rout under the guard (I never looked) but the finish is real. Not bragging, just saying.
  • woodwormwoodworm Frets: 6
    edited July 23
    Thanks , will let him know