Classic drum machine sounds

What's Hot
Sure this has been discussed before. Anyway...

I'm currently mulling over using more pretend drum machine sounds as opposed to pretend live drum sounds in the project I'm kicking off. It's another a bit indie, a bit post-rock, a bit slowcore sort of thing...

I've got EZ Drummer 2, Sitala and a Maschine Mikro Mk3 - too many options really... The plan is to create drum kits in Sitala and maybe Maschine for a relatively small selection of 'classic' drum machines. I've got a longlist with the likes of LinnDrum, TR626 (I used to have one of these!), Drumulator Rock (cause of The Cocteau Twins), RX5 and some of the other usual suspects. I may map the samples so that midi parts are interchangeable between EZ Drummer and Sitala - although possibly more effort and a diversionary tactic to stop me from getting on to writing some tunes...

I will probably splash out on the All The Drums bundle from Samples From Mars, although I probably won't use 80% of it and risk getting distracted by the breadth of choice...

Anything obvious I'm missing?

And what do people reckon this drum machine is based on? Sounds fairly generic 80's style with a beefed up kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9RpHfPyEx8
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    So that is just Simon Scott playing drums I think.

He does use electronics, and is a master of them (have a listen to his ambient albums), but it is really down to how he thinks as a drummer more than anything else.

You could use any of the drum libraries you listed and get a good result.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2684
    I think I read somewhere that he used samples for this - can't find the article now though...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    ewal said:
    I think I read somewhere that he used samples for this - can't find the article now though...
    Oh ok- no worries.

Have a look at the 2023 Glasto performance though. 
    Sound pretty similar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    Samples from Mars is really good.

I generally use 808, 909, Linn Drum, DMX

I really like the Drum Brute Impact as a physical machine.
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
    edited July 25
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
    ewal said:
    Sure this has been discussed before. Anyway...

I'm currently mulling over using more pretend drum machine sounds as opposed to pretend live drum sounds in the project I'm kicking off. It's another a bit indie, a bit post-rock, a bit slowcore sort of thing...

I've got EZ Drummer 2, Sitala and a Maschine Mikro Mk3 - too many options really... The plan is to create drum kits in Sitala and maybe Maschine for a relatively small selection of 'classic' drum machines. I've got a longlist with the likes of LinnDrum, TR626 (I used to have one of these!), Drumulator Rock (cause of The Cocteau Twins), RX5 and some of the other usual suspects. I may map the samples so that midi parts are interchangeable between EZ Drummer and Sitala - although possibly more effort and a diversionary tactic to stop me from getting on to writing some tunes...

I will probably splash out on the All The Drums bundle from Samples From Mars, although I probably won't use 80% of it and risk getting distracted by the breadth of choice...

Anything obvious I'm missing?

And what do people reckon this drum machine is based on? Sounds fairly generic 80's style with a beefed up kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9RpHfPyEx8
    Reverb has a load of free drum machine samples all sampled in 24 bit @ 44.1khz

Reverb Drum Machines | The Complete Collection

There's also a load of live drum sample packs here

Free Sample Packs for Music Production | Reverb
  • ewalewal Frets: 2684
    I wasn't aware of those live drum samples. Thanks.