John Mayall RIP

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10827
edited July 24 in Tributes
Just seen John Mayall has died at 90. RIP to a true founding father. 
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8169
    Very sad to hear that.  This is an odd coincidence because I put on The Last of the British Blues CD yesterday afternoon.  I haven't played that for probably 8 to 10 years.  I love that album, and in particular the songs "Tucson Lady", "The Teaser" and "The Bear".  I think his voice was probably at its best on that live album and his harmonica playing was terrific.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's sad news. Heck of an innings and heck of a career - a genuine legend. 

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 819
    edited July 24
    A great musician whose bands included some guitar greats like Peter Green and Eric Clapton. In his own way one of the great Bluesmen. RIP.

John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers - The Supernatural (youtube.com)
    One of my all time favourites. Peter Green leads.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11500
    One of the founding fathers of British blues and possibly the best spotter of talent of all time.

Very sad news. 
  • HumboldtHumboldt Frets: 22
    Saw him a couple of times at Green's Playhouse. Happy days.

I remember as a schoolboy taking my copy of Bare Wires everywhere I went. Mick Taylor's playing on Hartley Quits was my main influence in playing electric blues.

Great innings and a great legacy.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2230
    edited July 24
    Very sad news. A musical legend.

It's not a competition.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24907
    What a legacy. RIP, Sir.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    If there was an academy for British Blues Players then John Mayall would be the head teacher - He sure left a legacy behind him - RIP and thanks for everything 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 697
    I saw him. He was the supporting  act for B.B. King. Sad news. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2437
    The Great grandfather of British Blues. Incredible achievements. RIP.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 800
    Another titan goes beyond. RIP :(
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6429
    Great Grand-Daddy of British Blues RIP
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    A true blues legend, always willing to give young guns a chance and had some amazing talent in his bands over the years. RIP John. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    edited July 24
    I saw him live about 15 years ago. Slightly hunched old man comes on stage and you think "oh well of it's terrible at least I'll be able to say I saw him" and then wow such great energy and playing. I remember his voice as a lot better than some of the recordings as well, great gig. 
    There is a documentary about his early life (living in a tree house, etc) and there are some good gig recordings including one with Walter Trout and the 70th birthday gig. So hopefully BBC4,/Sky Arts can pull together a suitable tribute. 
    Amazing career, lot of talent and decades of doing what he loved. RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6687
    The thing that struck home with me is that this was a guy who undoubtedly was doing it for the love of playing the music. Here was a guy who didn't get bitter when guitarists he nurtured were ready to move on to their own solo careers. He genuinely seemed to support musicians, and what he did, as far as I can tell, came from the heart not from the ego.

Rest well. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19797
    Definitely Legend status for John. He always seemed such a generous bandmate without ego that just wanted everyone to do their own thing & be happy, inside the band or moving on. RIP
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6429
    I saw him live about 15 years ago. Slightly hunched old man comes on stage and you think "oh well of it's terrible at least I'll be able to say I saw him" and then wow such great energy and playing. I remember his voice as a lot better than some of the recordings as well, great gig. 
    There is a documentary about his early life (living in a tree house, etc) and there are some good gig recordings including one with Walter Trout and the 80th birthday gig. So hopefully BBC4,/Sky Arts can pull together a suitable tribute. 
    Amazing career, lot of talent and decades of doing what he loved. RIP. 

The Bluesbreakers were truly a Blues Finishing School
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 235
    The thing that struck home with me is that this was a guy who undoubtedly was doing it for the love of playing the music. Here was a guy who didn't get bitter when guitarists he nurtured were ready to move on to their own solo careers. He genuinely seemed to support musicians, and what he did, as far as I can tell, came from the heart not from the ego.

Rest well. 
    RIP John Mayall (He even recommended Mick Taylor for the Stones after Brian)
  • 1Strat2many1Strat2many Frets: 56
    RIP John. Impossible to accurately summarise the huge impact he had on not only the Blues but music in general over the last 60 years or so. Thanks for the wonderful gigs, bands and records
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7367
    Many of the licks we covet are from the guitarists he nurtured through the Bluesbreakers.

We even owe the Bluesbreakers name associated to classic gear.

RIP 
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>