John Mayall RIP

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4971
    Good obit piece from the beeb here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c80ej3j9j72o

RIP indeed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3115
    RIP John. Legend doesnt seem to cover it, somehow. A massive influence on me as a youngster - those 60s albums are like tablets or scrolls for anybody who fancies themselves as a blues musician. They also seem to retain the club/trad feel which allows you feel it's attainable. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2674
    Quite a moving short tribute from Clapton on YouTube

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1531
    I saw him a couple of times.  The first one was with Chicken Shack opening for him at the Hammersmith Odeon, and he came out to watch Stan Webb's set, which I thought was cool.  He also had Mick Taylor guesting on guitar. The whole evening was great (Chicken Shack are an amazing band) The second time was in New York about 10 years ago, and it was another great set.  I have many of his albums and he's produced an amazing body of music.  Sad to hear he's gone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24907
    Quite a moving short tribute from Clapton on YouTube

Actually quite heart-breaking as we see him confront his own mortality. The references to John Mayall having been a ‘surrogate father’ and his acknowledgement of how he repaid him (badly) and wanting to make amends…

One of the most profoundly personal statements I think I’ve ever seen him give.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    Seen him twice. Once at the Marquee, I’d guess, about 1976 and more recently in 2017. A true legend.
    RIP.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73537
    The development of British blues, and beyond that via the rock music many of the musicians he mentored in his band then went on to create, would have been quite different without him, I think. A true legend.

I never saw him live - I had a ticket for a gig a few years back, but it was cancelled because he wasn't well, and I never got another chance.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3629
    Along with Alexis Korner probably the biggest influence on modern music on the British market by home grown talent.