Things to in Nashville during the day?

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
edited July 24 in Off Topic
We’re in Nashville from 29 September until 5 October. Obviously there’s music in the evenings but (apart from the Country Music Hall of Fame) are less sure what there is for during the day. We were hoping to visit the Grand Ole Opry which despite advertising daily tours doesn’t seem to be doing them for the week we’re there! I guess some refurbishment or something?
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32236
    You might want to move this out of P&E, unless that's the theme of your holiday.
    :)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    p90fool said:
    You might want to move this out of P&E, unless that's the theme of your holiday.
    :)
    Oops! Thanks.
    Forgot to add that we won’t have a car.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    edited July 24
    Carter Vintage
    Gruhn’s 
    Rumbleseat
    Corner Music
    Eastside
    Fanny's
    Nashville Used & New
    Caldwell Guitars (new but looks ace)
    Guitar Center

*obviously* 

And srsly you can spend half a day in Carter's new place if you want to. But also for the non-gear heads… 

Food is good - Peg Leg Porkers is exceptional and Hattie B’s excellent. there was at least one other good bbq place we went as well - will try and remember 

Third Man Records

Musicians Hall of Fame - not just the country one

I’ve  heard RCAStudios is a great tour but we didn’t have time when we were there 

Will you be there in time for the Isbell Ryman shows? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    Where to start...

Just head for Broadway in the first instance.  Loads to see and do across the main drag and the streets running off it and plenty of great live music bars (Honky Tonk Central, Rippy's, Tootsie's etc etc etc).  The Bluebird Cafe on Hillsboro Pike is a tiny joint where many famous country stars were discovered - including Garth Brooks and Taylor Swift.  If you can get in, go for it (you may want to try and book before you go out there).  Pop into The Corner Pub over the road for a drink - you may glimpse someone famous there if that's your bag.  Santa's Pub is worth a visit too - karaoke bar only serving (last time I went there) beer but smoking allowed as it's a glowified trailer, so beware!

Loads of great places to eat as well - too many to mention.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8900
    Guthrie Trapp at the Underdog on Monday evening?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1620
    Go to Tootsie's around 10am to get a decent table, and enjoy a few beers and an early lunch. The vibe is laid back, however a little more intimate and a lot of fun.

For an evening Honky Tonk, my favourite is Roberts Western (a couple of doors along). Really good kick-ass vibe and in your face bands.

Definitely visit the RCA Studio if you can, and perhaps the Johnny Cash Museum.

Third Man is near to Carter Vintage, so you can do those together.

For BBQ, I would wholly recommend Martin's. You will have to queue up (if at an obvious meal hour), but it is well worth it...

Nashville is great, with a lot of party people and a lot of energy.

A fab place !!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    Where to start...

Just head for Broadway in the first instance.  Loads to see and do across the main drag and the streets running off it and plenty of great live music bars (Honky Tonk Central, Rippy's, Tootsie's etc etc etc).  The Bluebird Cafe on Hillsboro Pike is a tiny joint where many famous country stars were discovered - including Garth Brooks and Taylor Swift.  If you can get in, go for it (you may want to try and book before you go out there).  Pop into The Corner Pub over the road for a drink - you may glimpse someone famous there if that's your bag.  Santa's Pub is worth a visit too - karaoke bar only serving (last time I went there) beer but smoking allowed as it's a glowified trailer, so beware!

BTW - make sure you have a Bushwacker or two.  They used to be especially potent delicious on the rooftop bar at Tootsies where you can get mellow and watch Broadway drift past.
    edited July 24
    You're gonna get me monologuing about food...

Mission is meant to be great but we didn't have time. Rodney Scotts BBQ is also ace - we didn't go in Nashville but did go to the one in Charleston and it was The Good Shit

Patterson House is a great bar. It's where the cool kids go and you'll have to queue to get into but well worth it. Ignore the menu and talk the barman about what you want - they'll sort you out. Catbird Seat is above Patterson House and meant to be one of the best restaurants in town but be aware getting a reservation is extremely difficult. 

Husk should be great. We went to the Charleston one and it was good, but not quite as good as some other great places we already eaten that week. But the Nashville one is meant to be better. 
    Thanks for all the responses so far. Looks like lots of great bars and eateries to look forward to.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1620
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    Where to start...

BTW - make sure you have a Bushwacker or two.  They used to be especially potent delicious on the rooftop bar at Tootsies where you can get mellow and watch Broadway drift past.
    OMG, don't get me started on the Bushwackers.

Looks innocent enough....

I normally hate any sweet cocktails and/or any that contain Irish Cream - more a margarita or mojito man myself. However, I gather it’s the Nashville drink so it’s probably rude not to. Cheers! Bottoms up! Etc.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 484

Not OP, but I will be there for the Ryman shows. I have tickets for Friday the 18th and I absolutely cannot wait. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mo6020 said:

Not OP, but I will be there for the Ryman shows. I have tickets for Friday the 18th and I absolutely cannot wait. 
    Oh wow. They're on fire at the moment so that'll be amazing. I miss Amanda but the rest of them are making up for it

We were 50/50 between doing that and NYC for my 40th but couldn't make the dates work - gutted! 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9794
    If you fancy a bit of history, Carnton is a must. Civil war, slavery, plantation house
    https://boft.org/carnton

As others have said, RCA studios are worth including in the Country Music Hall Of Fame- if you don’t book in advance, you won’t get in. They’re very intimate tours. 

There’s a Gibson garage in Nashville now too.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1531
    If you get nostalgic for any British beer, stop into Fleet Street Pub in Printers Alley.  Alse great Fish & Chips and good music playing.  There's also a Gallery of Iconic Guitars at Belmont University.  The Belmont Mansion is also worth touring if you are into history.  It you are really into history, you can go to the Parthenon - it is a full size replica of the Athens ruins, but as it would have been when it was built.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 25
    PhilKing said:
    If you get nostalgic for any British beer, stop into Fleet Street Pub in Printers Alley.  
    There's also this place - we went there three days after they opened in 2013 and had the distinction of being first Brits they'd served :-)

https://explorethegulch.com/go/the-pub-nashville
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 487
    As said Martin's BBQ is great, some good beers and even hard ciders (as they call them in the US) on tap.

Have to try Nashville Hot Chicken, Hattie B's is my favourite but Prince's is decent enough.

Tour of Grand Ole Opry is good, but sounds like you can't in, hopefully that's just timing on the websites part. Johnny Cash museum is decent. Music Hall of Fames are good too.

The NHL team are based right in the centre too, I haven't had the chance to go yet, but you might be able to catch a preseason game.

Just watch out for the Nazi's that have been hanging out there of late....
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    Turns the Opry is being used for some awards ceremony for the whole time we’re there :-(
    HAL9000 said:
    Turns the Opry is being used for some awards ceremony for the whole time we’re there :-(
    Bear in mind the Ryman and the new Opry are different venues. The Ryman is the old church where all the greats played back in the day, but I’m guessing any awards shows will be at the big new place, which is like any modern arena