Lollar vintage blonde v Lollar special blonde.

What's Hot
ditchboyditchboy Frets: 319
I've just ordered the special set but the retailer has contacted me to say they're both out of stock until next week. I suppose between now and then I can change my mind if necessary. Is there much difference between the 2? I installed a set of Fat 50's into my last guitar and whilst I thought all 3 pups were an improvement on the stock ones I still felt the bridge was slightly lacking. Does the hotter special Lollar solve the problem or am I best of going vintage blonde for all 3?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5563
    Try getting a baseplate for the bridge pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 319
    Whitecat said:
    I looked into that but on the Lollar website they advise they don't feel its necessary. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    ditchboy said:
    Whitecat said:
    I looked into that but on the Lollar website they advise they don't feel its necessary. 
    A great and simple idea that many players and builders endorse - Does you give that extra 'welly' for the pick up as required
    Ok so add a baseplate to a vintage blonde or add it to the special for additional oooomph?
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 195
    I've got a set of Vintage Blondes, fabulous pickups.
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    kelpbeds said:
    Did you bother with the baseplate? How did you find the bridge?
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2563
    ditchboy said:
    Ok so add a baseplate to a vintage blonde or add it to the special for additional oooomph?
    I've a baseplate on the bridge pickup on my Strat.
    To my ears it makes it sound much more like a Telecaster bridge pickup, with more mids in particular. 

That's ideal for me as I generally prefer telecasters, but it does remove a lot of the Stratocaster character from the bridge position. I don't mind as I use the neck and middle position when I want strat sounds and then switch to the bridge for more of a "rock" tone. 

It's a very easy modification to make and to reverse if you don't like it, so worth trying in any case
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    I've listened to a few Youtube videos and definitely prefer the tone of the special - but there isn't much between them on the videos I've seen. 
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 195
    ditchboy said:
    kelpbeds said:
    Did you bother with the baseplate? How did you find the bridge?
    Nope, no base plate. I'm not a massive fan of the bridge pickup on a strat anyway, I only use it when I play live and want a solo to cut through. But having said that, totally happy with all the Lollar dirty blonde pickups. Can't fault them. 
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28133
    I haven't played the Strat ones but the Special T set in my Tele are some of my all-time favourite pickups. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I haven't played the Strat ones but the Special T set in my Tele are some of my all-time favourite pickups. 
    If these are as good as I expect them to be I might be tempted into a tele set but I do like the noiseless ones I have in my elite model. Deadly silent!!