Origin effects DCX boost.

markjmarkj Frets: 926
edited July 24 in FX
Another pedal I’m interested in. Any forum members had experience of the pedal.
 I use my Paul Cochrane Timmy for just boosting my amp, would the DCX boost surpass the Timmy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 38
    edited July 25
    I've had the DCX for about a year. I occasionally take it off my board - but it's usually back on within a day.
    I love it. It's so flexible as a tone shaper and has a lovely old style breakup. You also have the OD side which, If you push it, it has a 'fuzzy' character - not Fuzz, but a warm fuzzyness to it that I really like.

My use case is maybe a little unusual. I only play at home, so controlling the volume levels is a consideration.

I use a small Friedman Mini Dirty Shirley which is a JTM45 style amp. It has lots of gain if I want it, but I run it on the edge and then boost it or use another Origin pedal for a different flavour of OD.

I previously had the Kingsley Page - it's a really lovely pedal. But it doesn't have much drive, so in my configuration didn't work so well as I had to use it as a pure boost to push the amp. Sounded good, but then there was a large increase in volume.

I replaced it with the DCX as it has more drive and still has a lot of boost if you wish.

For my setup, it's been perfect. As I say, it rarely comes off the board and is usually always on, unless I use the Origin RevivalTrem for a different style sound (then I can use the DCX to boost the RT).

I've not used a Timmy, but I'd expect the DCX to work just as well. You have Low and High boost/cut controls and you have the Voice switch to control the upper range.

The DCX really should have more love. I did mean to write a review.

Take a look at the Super Danger Studios video, it's what convinced me to try it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aV30rlxpic

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom