Strap buttons working loose

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4004
edited July 24 in Guitar
Got a new (to me) guitar and the strap buttons keep working loose.

They're also too short to use grolsch-style rubber washers, which is my preferred method of ensuring the strap stays on. 

Any tips?

Ps. I don't like strap locks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24200
    New strap buttons, bigger/longer screws?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    edited July 24
    It is quite possible that the previous owner of your guitar had fitted fancy strap buttons only to remove them immediately prior to sale. 

If the screws on the "upgrade" buttons were wider or longer than the stock ones, this would explain the lack of grip for the originals.

The obvious options are either to use a larger screw or to reduce the diameter of the hole. Gluing in part of a cocktail stick is the traditional solution.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28133
    Change strap buttons. And put a glue-covered matchstick in each hole while you're changing them
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    edited July 24
    My only bit of successful DIY - remove the button, put wooden cocktail sticks (non sulphurous end of matchstick if you haven't got cocktail sticks) dipped in wood glue into the hole, trim off and rescrew. Obviously wait for the glue to dry before applying any pressure. 
    Edit: replace the screw and button whilst glue is wet but allow to dry before using it as a strap button. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73536
    My only bit of successful DIY - remove the button, put wooden cocktail sticks (non sulphurous end of matchstick if you haven't got cocktail sticks) dipped in wood glue into the hole, trim off and rescrew. Obviously wait for the glue to dry before applying any pressure. 
    But importantly, put the screw in first while the glue is still wet - *then* leave it to set before using the button. I know that’s probably what you meant, but I wasn’t quite sure :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    ICBM said:
    But importantly, put the screw in first while the glue is still wet - *then* leave it to set before using the button. I know that’s probably what you meant, but I wasn’t quite sure :).
    Yes, screw in whilst the glue is wet. It wasn't clear 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5061
    You spent some/a lot of money buying the guitar so buy proper strap retainers to keep it secure on a strap.  They are not expensive and they don’t give you a hangover. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5147
    edited July 25
    I’ve repaired loose strap button screw holes many times, always successfully, and I’ve always let the glue dry in the hole with the cocktail sticks before putting in the screw. I don’t want wet glue seeping out of the hole as the screw goes in (the displacement laws of physics apply here) and then have glue drying on top of my guitar’s nitro finish unseen underneath the strap button. YMMV but I’m going to keep doing what’s always worked for me.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28133
    Rocker said:
    You spent some/a lot of money buying the guitar so buy proper strap retainers to keep it secure on a strap.  They are not expensive and they don’t give you a hangover. 
    Groslch ones are the best available. You can buy them without buying beers if you need to :) 

Every other straplock relies on even more mechanical stuff not failing…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4833
    All my guitars get a set of these, plus a Grolsch-style washer if the strap isn't too thick.

https://www.gluedtomusic.com/products/730/gotoh-ep-b3-large-oversized-strap-buttons-set-of-2-chrome/
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2274
    Strap locks look crap - Those rubber Grolsch washers work fine