Faded 59 build - mockup time

What's Hot
PeteCPeteC Frets: 412
edited July 24 in Making & Modding

Hi folks 

i always lusted after a faded 59 LP but as funds wont stretch (!!!) my latest build is the alternative.  Its based on the Bartlett plans with a few twists ( my own headstock etc)  Body is white limba, neck is mahogany and the cap is flamed hard maple flitch matched rather than bookmarked. Kluson tuners and gotoh nickel hardware.  50s wiring.  Tonerider Birminghams or Oil City Beano and Oil City Dynamite depending on how the guitar sounds when finished    The fade was done with dyes and french polish - I’m after a rather worn, played in look but I will be clear coating the whole guitar with nitro as well.    I might do a build thread on this one if anyone is interested.  Anyway heres a quick mockup while I test fix some hardware. 
ps - if anyone can tell me how to get the pics on the thread instead of links to imgur I’m all ears.  (Sorted…..thanks @davros
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sld5150sld5150 Frets: 1
    That’s extremely nice. How long did it take to get to this stage? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1406
    edited July 24
    That looks great, can you post a pic of the white limba back? Did you stain it?

Imgur is easy on a phone
    Open the picture in the imgur app, click on it again to get the picture to open on its own, click the share button and copy the Jpeg link. Back in the fretboard post, click the back document icon, paste the link and then add a space. It should appear in the post.

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 412

These are shot in artificial light but hopefully convey the colour ok.  Wood had one wash coat of blonde shellac (2lb cut) then grain filler made with pumice, boiled linseed, aniline dye and some nitro.  Then about 6 coats of nitro tinted with red and brown leather dyes

sld5150 said:
    That’s extremely nice. How long did it take to get to this stage? 
    Not sure as I have had 4 concurrent builds going on while doing this one.  I started it early this year but have only been doing it on and off 

davros said:
    That looks great, can you post a pic of the white limba back? Did you stain it?

Imgur is easy on a phone
    Open the picture in the imgur app, click on it again to get the picture to open on its own, click the share button and copy the Jpeg link. Back in the fretboard post, click the back document icon, paste the link and then add a space. It should appear in the post.

thanks for the tip…. Hopefully the info above is useful.   
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8167
    Fret nibs!!  Difficult to execute really well and adds a touch of class.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yep - I thought I’d do fret nibs on this one just as a learning experience rather than any aesthetic reason.  

This is the first LP Ive built from scratch and I have enough nice maple and limba to do another 3 or 4 like this.   
    I’m not sure I will bother with nibs on the next one though!  

Once the test fit is all done I will move onto the clear coats and buffing 

Minor disaster today - dropped a scribing tool onto the shellaced top of this build while moving stuff in the workshop !   Tried to repair the shellac coats but wasnt happy with it so…… decided to sand it all back leaving some of the stain and spray some nitro instead.   Lots of coats to go yet , but very happy with the initial colour coats and faded burst.