Off to Cromer next week

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    A tad further up the coast, but my Grandad use to work in Sheringham in the 1930's in the summer months as a pro- musician - Played 3 times a day/days a week - afternoon tea - dinner music and evening dance 

Ah-ha - do you know where Mark?  There used to be an outside venue called The Mo which was next to The Crown pub.  Sadly it's been replaced by The Sheringham Museum (but The Crown is still there, I can attest!)
    Dad died 4 years ago, so can't ask but have a host of info - They take so much info with them, even though you think you've milked them for all such stories - I've ploughed through a lot of notes so go back and see if I can find any names - From memory the afternoon tea 'gig' was a different place to the dinner music/evening dance which I assume was a hotel - Think the afternoon tea gig was at/by the pier - Pay wasn't bad then either - £6 a week, he got when the ave wage was around £3 a week
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    When I lived and worked in Hunstanton, for four glorious months , we used to go to the Thursford organ museum every week. The highlight of which was watching a chap playing The Damnbusters theme on a theatre organ. The museum is still there so you could go see if they still play The Damnbusters theme.
    There is a gas museum in Fakenham which sounded suitably quirky although closed due to social distancing regs when I was last nearby. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28220
    Corvus said:
    Up the road not far away is the Muckleburgh Collection,

Pronounced Murrbro ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28134
    Offset said:
    Snags said:
    @Offset so, tell him how to pronounce Stiffkey but not Happisburgh, eh?
    ...or Wymondham :-)
    I’m from there! Never tell anyone - it’s so much fun!! :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    When I lived and worked in Hunstanton, for four glorious months , we used to go to the Thursford organ museum every week. 
    Fnaah fnaah!

Terry Jones actor writer director and comedian who shot to fame as a  member of the Monty Python team  obituary
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    Snags said:
    @Offset so, tell him how to pronounce Stiffkey but not Happisburgh, eh?
    ...or Wymondham :-)
    I’m from there! Never tell anyone - it’s so much fun!! :D 
    I hadn't forgotten - and don't worry, my lips are sealed :-)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25049
    It's a lovely part of the world.
    I go up there every year. 

Cromer, Sheringham - both great for pottering around. Loads of good pub food.

I always hope for a day or two of diabolical weather as the North Sea is amazing when it's angry. Has a real primordial feel to it.

Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens is definitely worth a day out - that's nearer Great Yarmouth
    thrigbyhall.com

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1219
    The Grove on Overstrand rd does very nice food. The country club is a nice place to stay with self contained 1-3 bedroom apartments and now includes access to the gym and pool. 
    Er, it’s quite nice walking along the coast. 
    Think that’s about it! 
    P.S. If you like your coffee, I can recommend Grey Seal on Cromer High Street.

https://www.greysealcoffee.com/
  • Thanks guys. Will pass these onto the Mrs and inevitably do none of them 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 980
    The Dun Cow at Salthouse. Lovely pub. Nice to sit outside with views over the salt marshes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10826
    There’s a boat parked up at Wells-next-the-sea where bands play - had a hilarious night with Carl Axon from Dr and the Medics there once. It’s a teeny little venue down there in the hull of the boat - check if any good band’s playing. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3629
    Sheringham has s steam train to Holt.
    Wells is nice and s good walk down to the beach, you can do the circuit up to Holkham too. 
    A nice walk along the cliffs from Cromer over bestons bump to sherringham.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1425
    We found a great chip shop. Further along is Holkam beach, and plenty of good boozers. Seal watching at Blakeney, and lots of nice small towns along the top bit. If you are interested in your royalty stuff, Sandringham might be open to visitors. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1753
    Lovely part of the world. I go a couple of times a year to stop with a mate who lives in Sheringham. Coming from the north west of England its like going back to the 70's. Always go to The Bank in Sheringham. Its a Nepalese restaurant, best biriyani i've ever had.   
    ronnyb said:
    Always go to The Bank in Sheringham. Its a Nepalese restaurant, best biriyani i've ever had.   
    Good innit!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2437
    edited July 25

Back in the '70s My Gran used to live nearby in a faded large Victorian house, so we went at least once a year for cheap hols.

Great seafood. Dad used to buy crab and prawns from the boat guys and so we had seafood salad. A lot. Delicious!!

The coastline is exposed and very windy. A lot of time on the beach erecting wind deflectors and not very good weather.

Sea=F freezing don't even think about it without wetsuits. 

Fighter jets buzzing overhead all the time from RAF-Whatever.

Great fish and chips. 

Lot's of day trips to nearby houses/grounds/castles to get out of Gran's way.

that's about it.