Parcel compare - do not use!

domforrdomforr Frets: 332
edited July 25 in Acoustics
Just to share my experience with this bunch of chancers. I had an instrument sent to Holland the other week and it was smashed to pieces in transit. I'd packaged it well in a reinforced padded case, with cardboard on the sides for additional protection and bubble wrapped with loads of fragile stickers. Clearly something very heavy had been dropped on it to cause such appalling damage. 

After weeks of sending photos of the packaging and the damage caused the company have refused to pay out, despite my paying extra for insurance. They also charged me an additional surcharge yesterday that came of my account without my consent. 

Basically they are cowboys who need to go out of business swiftly. Please don't make the mistake that I did.

Guitar-1
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GTCGTC Frets: 267
    Who was the actual carrier? Parcel Compare are just a broker for several major carriers. If you read the small print, some companies will not entertain damage claims for musical instruments unless sent in a hard case - and some exclude damage claims on musical instruments completely, however severe the damage is. Even though you've declared you are sending a musical instrument, this doesn't stop them offering insurance when booking the delivery (e.g. ParcelForce) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 332
    DPD did the actual shipping, but the insurance was through Parcel Compare. I checked t&c and there’s no mention of exclusion on musical instruments. It was packed in a reinforced, fitted case, had additional cardboard on the back and front, was covered in bubble wrap and had fragile stickers all over it. It must have had something very heavy dropped on it to cause that damage and only a steel box would have saved it. Hugely frustrating to have a beautiful instrument destroyed through negligence and then not be compensated. These people have appalling reviews from people who’ve had similar experiences. If only I’d seen them sooner.
    Yes, I've since looked at the ParcelCompare website and musical instruments are not a prohibited item nor on the compensation exclusions list. So - provided that you followed their packaging guidelines they should have compensated you. Have you thought of complaining directly to DPD as they caused the damaged. They also should take a photo of the package when handed to the recipient.

Anyway, my sympathies.
    Thanks, it's not a pleasant experience but I guess I'll learn from it (trying to find some positive). I tried DPD and they weren't interested and referred me to Parcel Compare - like talking to a brickwall. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2721
    If not on T&c exclusion and you packaged (and can prove) appropriate and according to T&C, then it may be something to explore taking to small claims?
    Possibly, although if you lose you pay costs which is a bit concerning. Could end up losing more money than I already have. 
    You are probably sick and tired of what's happened and just want to put it down as a bad experience to learn from - but I'm curious. What reasons did Parcel Compare give for not upholding your claim?
    They said the parcel wasn’t internally packaged and not suspended in a box. It was impossible to add any packaging around the instrument as it fits into a custom made padded case. Likewise I had reinforced the back and sides with cardboard and wrapped numerous rolls of bubble wrap around the reinforced case. Only a severe impact would have caused the damage 
  • relayarrelayar Frets: 6
    domforr said:
    They said the parcel wasn’t internally packaged and not suspended in a box. It was impossible to add any packaging around the instrument as it fits into a custom made padded case. Likewise I had reinforced the back and sides with cardboard and wrapped numerous rolls of bubble wrap around the reinforced case. Only a severe impact would have caused the damage 
    Sorry you're having to put up this kind bullshit @domforr, especially with the paid-for insurance being effectively ignored. Did they say what the surchage was for? If your account was paid via credit card perhaps the card issuer may be willing to step in, as this surcharge wasn't sanctioned by you, let alone the insurance not being honoured.

Whilst shipping to another country leaves few options other than using a courier, I have a Suhr Modern for sale, UK only (not advertised on this forum, yet) and there's no way in hell I'd use any courier. It's collection only. Last year I sold a Boss RC300 looper, but it appears UPS drop-kicked it from one destination to another as it arrived knackered. I had to refund the buyer as well losing the cost of two way postage, as they also failed to collect the item from the disgruntled purchaser, so I told him to keep it. Hours spent on their website to make a claim sent me round in circles, and in the end I gave up. Never again.

Anyway, here's hoping you get some recompense. 

John
    Thanks John and sorry you had a similar experience. I agree- will not be sending abroad again. Just not worth it. They said it was an additional handling charge from DPD and that there was nothing they could do about it. On the reviews site there are people who have been charged hundreds of pounds months later for some made up reason. I really don’t know how they are allowed to get away with it.