Microphones.... anywhere decent to go a test?

paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
edited July 25 in Other Instruments
not sure where to put a thread on mics lol.

Im after a new stage mic - and want to go condensor (Im happy with my 2 Dynamic choices) but struggling to find places that stock - or at least more than 1.

interested in:

Neuman KS 104/105
DPA 2028
Microtech Gefell MD100
Earthworks SR117

POSSIBLY the Senny MD 435 and 431
other wildcards - Audix VX10 and Lewitt MTPW950

ideally somewhere with at least 3 of those to A/B against my Beyer V70 Dynamic.

anyone?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    Testing live microphones is almost impossible in shops- saying 'check 1 2' into a hastily put together PA isn't going to reveal much and the shop won't be motivated to do it for a sub £500 sale.

Sadly the best thing is to buy it and use distance selling to return it if the shop will allow it- some won't because of hygeine.

Is this a vocal mic for live use?
    Is it for you to use personally (ie you want something special) or for general use?

Honestly I'd just get a Beta 58 (or two) and be done with it.
    Most PAs and live situations aren't going to benefit from a DPA etc.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7131
    Ive been tempted to do a road trip to Thomann in germany - they are similar to Sweetwater in the states and are a huge music store with recording studios/demo rooms.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    Record multitracks gigs with different mics then try and mix those gigs and see what you have spill wise .... that's how I learned about mics and how little you can benefit from increased frequency response etc in a live environment unless the stages are huge!

DPA actually did send us 2 different £700 mics to test for Katy in the tribute band. Different capsules with different pickup patterns meant different trade off's with breath noise and spill from band. In the end the best mic was a handheld Senn 945 wireless. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    OK - bit the bullet.

Ive watched soooo many videos comparing mics over the last week.....   some direct the Beyer I use, others not.  Some directly comparing some Im interested in, and some with others I know but dont have or want.

teh DPA and Gelfell are very flat - probably not a bad thing but seem more broadcast than stage (that usually have that little list) and there pricey just to take a punt on.

The Neuman KS104/105 sound nice - but again over £500 and there something about them in the low end Im not keen on (over Youtunbe of course - but hey ho).

the Earthworks SR117 sounded good BUT its voiced like a dynamic - so why not just use a dynamic?  

i did want a condenser, as I do have dynamics so that ruled out Senney MD series.  With the exception of the 578 Beta as a general mic, Ive never been a fan of Shure mics (had a 58, and a beta 58) so decided the "family sound" of the KMS9 or the duel diaphragm dynamic XNX8s would probably not be for me. 

Ive opted for a Senny e965.    Less than the neumans, DPA and Gelfell - more than the SR117 (I actually really liked the earthworks V40r but its £750 minimum - too much).   It will be used live on a quite stage (well - quiet ish, only drummer is acoustic - everyone else is direct) but Ill also use it at home to record to.  i do have a condenser for home - but its a cheap one I got as part of a bulk purchase (is a Hoe Meek brand, and i thin k it was around the £120 mark if bought on its own 10 years or so ago - it wont be a great example).

i can always return it if I dont like it when compared to my V70 - but in the vids Ive seen them compared there actually quite similar but the top end (which is there the V70) is less harsh, and the low end a little less muffled so it SHOULD be int he right ballpark.  Its also better on plosives than the V70 (its main downside really).

Well see how I get on.