Shure SM57 best bet for amplifying my amp live?

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 399
About to buy a new Shure SM57, before I do, any advice on that for alternatives to mic up my amp into a church PA?
ta Jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4833
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2642
    tFB Trader
    Ox Box, Suhr IR load box, Boss Expander, Two notes Little IR boxy thing.

All much more expensive but you will have more control of the sound going to the board and it won't be subject to how the mic is placed on  weekly basis. You could have it set up for multiple mics etc

How big is your Church? Do you actually get to turn your amp up a bit? 
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 399
    Medium church size, can’t turn amp up loads but want to use my valve amps with a mic in front. Don’t need silent stage option.
    ta Jon
  • keirkeir Frets: 146
    edited July 25
    Could try a sennheiser E609 / 906, they can be draped over the front of the amp and (I believe) are a little less picky with placement 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1684
    JonHosker said:
    Medium church size, can’t turn amp up loads but want to use my valve amps with a mic in front. Don’t need silent stage option.
    ta Jon
    An SM57 is more than fine, it will work perfectly. A torpedo Captor X will give you the option of taking your sound directly to the desk whilst still having your onstage sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    keir said:
    Could try a sennheiser E609 / 906, they can be draped over the front of the amp and (I believe) are a little less picky with placement 
    They are more ideal for mic'ing up amps in quieter conditions. In every mic used in a live environment you have the wanted source (the amp in this case) and the unwanted spill from the drums and other instruments. The 906 / 609 picks up less spill 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6687
    Behringer B 906 Dynamic Microphone for Instrument and Vocal Applications https://amzn.eu/d/0ibvnlRp

Will go for the E906 - thanks 
    Jon
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7131
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I used to play in a similar setting, ranging from 100 people to 300 people. Back then the best solution was a palmer PDI-01

I have since had and stripped apart a Palmer PDI-003 Joe Bonamassa model and it works great with more flexibility. Testing it against the Friedman simulated DI out circuit, the whole office thought the Palmer was better.

Both those items go between the amp and speaker and cost more or less the same as a mic and is less susceptible to damage in the gig bag.
    Thanks Modulus.
    Prefer a mic. option to try as planning to use a couple of different amps. Hope this works out.
    Will look at the Palmer and RedBox option too.
    jon
    tFB Trader
    Speak to your Church leadership too, they may be willing to buy it for you. They normally have a budget for this sort of thing.
    Thanks 
    Good advice 
    jon
  • Al_NicoAl_Nico Frets: 5
    edited July 26
    Yes. Shure SM57 is an excellent choice. They have a pleasing, expected sound response and last forever. I use them for almost everything.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    I got a Palmer PDI09 (which is now discontinued) which sits between the amp and the speaker and takes a feed to the desk with an XLR. You can find them for very little money on auction sites and they are absolutely worth a punt. If you have a solid state amp, you don't even need a speaker load on it and I've used it for silent stage gigs.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9770
    keir said:
    Ive used many different types at church and live. The SM57 is more than good enough, but my best results was with the Sennheiser listed above :)