Gretsch G5220?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1460
A nice lightweight single cut guitar that jangles? They look nice and simple. Seem similar to the G5425. A long G tailpiece on the G5220 would look nice or a long trem, such as a Bigsby or Gretsch one! Cheap and cheerful guitars?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11309
    tFB Trader
    Except they are fitted with Broadtrons which don't really jangle ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1460
    oh yes. True. a straight forward enough change though at least! Scratch the long Bigsby idea. I have seen some forums where it seems the Bigsby would need to be modded for the break angle!
  • iheartreverbiheartreverb Frets: 80
    I picked up a used G3141 recently (slug left cut, hollow body, Dynasonic single could) and it’s brilliant if you can come across one (model number is different for the trem version I think).
    I thought I saw one in passing in a second hand guitar shop recently, I’ll have a scout about and see if it’s still there 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1223
    Was looking at Electromatic Jets recently and have found them to be far from lightweight!

They seemed to all be in Les Paul territory, despite the chambering, so around 8-10lb or thereabouts.

I used to own a Japanese Jet that I remember being fairly light but it seems that the Electromatics can have less chambering than the more expensive models. I don't know if the degree of chambering or average weight differs between the Electromatic models.
    ah so they are not lightweight ? That’s a deal breaker ! Some of the reviews suggest they are especially the double cut G5222
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11309
    tFB Trader
    ah so they are not lightweight ? That’s a deal breaker ! Some of the reviews suggest they are especially the double cut G5222
    Not found a light Gretsch ... my fully hollow 5420 is quite a weight ... nearly the same as my Les Paul. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BasherBasher Frets: 1223
    I don't actually know. Maybe some are. I was just warning you that some Electromatic Jets are clearly not. Definitely ask before buying if it's important to you.

Like @OilCityPickups G5420, my G5422 is also fully hollow but weighs 8lb, which surprised me. I love it though and it's not too heavy for me.

There was an Electromatic Jet for sale locally that was almost 10.5 lb and I didn't pursue that one!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8213
    I’ve had a few that were quite light.  Can’t say I’ve ever day a jet that was anywhere near as heavy as a LP
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4043
    edited July 25
    I had a G6120 Jnr from the early noughties. Basically a full G6120 shrunk to 2/3rds body size, but still fully hollow unlike the modern day "Juniors" which all have centre-blocks. It was light as a feather and a brilliant guitar, but sold it cos I'm an idiot.  s

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1227
    My G5222 is not as heavy as a Les Paul, but not exactly lightweight. Probably weighs about the same as my strat. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7367
    Oh yes they do through the right amp = Super Reverb 

Well made, nicely finished but quirky and not very controllable electrics - but this is not specific to this model..

Broadtrons do rock but can also have Gretsch 60's sounding vibes if you want.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>