When pop song writers get clever...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1659
    munckee said:
    In a Frank Black song he has the line “I’m thalassacracy and you’re just Romanov”

thalassacracy is an empire reliant on naval power as I understand it so how it links to Romanov I’ve never worked out. 

Both the Russian Empire and the Romanovs were in dire need of more ports and ways to access their Naval resources? Britain was the thalassocracy that prevented it.

Seems a bit of a stretch.

I know young Black Francis would sometimes throw out garbled spanish but old Frank Black seems to be less scattergun with his work.

"She's an erotic liquid dream from a magazine" was probably changed at the last to whatever fit. Come on Eileeen!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:

I don't know if this stuff is clever or not ;-/

As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti, I'm caught between Scylla and Charibdes ;-/
    … or as Alice Cooper sang “I can’t think of a word that rhymes”
    I always think of Spandau Ballet's "why do I find it hard to write the next line." 

The Toto thing is basically wibble. They always knew it was wibble and seems to have seen it with some bemusement as it has been picked up by other people as having some greater meaning. 

Indeed.

There was the case of Nick Kershaw not being bothered to change his guide nonsense into a proper lyric and therefore calling it "The Riddle" causing people to go nuts trying to solve it assuming there was some kind of prize until he explained it was just nonsense.
  • Hurling_FruitmigHurling_Fruitmig Frets: 716
    edited July 26
    I was always tickled by the Kaiser Chiefs song Saturday Night, which includes the lines:

Pneumothorax is a word that is long
    They’re just tryin’ to put the punk back into punctured lung
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3172
    Robert Wyatt - Signed Curtain:

This is the first verse, the first verse (repeat)
    This is the Chorus, or perhaps it's a Bridge? Or just another Key change?
    This is the second verse, second verse (repeat) 
    Never mind, it doesn't hurt, it only means I lost faith in this song.
    'Cos it won't help me reach you.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    viz said:
    “Was it polemically sent” - Ozzy’s Mr. Crowley. I always thought it sounded a bit out of place. 

Lyrics by Bob Daisley.  He is Australian, I'm not sure if that's relevant or not.