Nerd content alert: What's your favourite JFET overdrive?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 226
    pt22 said:
    Audio Kitchen Fake Plastic Trees is JFET and can get very raunchy. 
    Would love to try one of these out at some point.

Alex2678 said:
    Alex2678 said:
    I’ve not found one I liked, I’ve always found the decay crackly
    Get back in the corner and be quiet! 

In all seriousness though, I can understand that some JFET overdrives have some weird overtones in the decay, I found that the Supro overdrive was the worst culprit for this depending on my amp and guitar.

Most of the bearfoot overdrives are pretty smooth with the decaying overdriven tone. I find that pedals that accept 18V are less prone to that crackly fizzling fuzz too.
    That twin twelve clone of yours is my favourite I’ve tried, and that had a charge pump. 
    I ended getting an original JHS twin twelve V2 with the switch to change the gain. It's a lot less temperamental with the gain knob. It is indeed a nice saggy overdrive.markj said:
    Another vote for the Liquid Sunshine!
    What’s special about these pedals.

I may have to look into this one.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18207
    tFB Trader
    pt22 said:
    Audio Kitchen Fake Plastic Trees is JFET and can get very raunchy. 
    Would love to try one of these out at some point.

Alex2678 said:
    Alex2678 said:
    I’ve not found one I liked, I’ve always found the decay crackly
    Get back in the corner and be quiet! 

In all seriousness though, I can understand that some JFET overdrives have some weird overtones in the decay, I found that the Supro overdrive was the worst culprit for this depending on my amp and guitar.

Most of the bearfoot overdrives are pretty smooth with the decaying overdriven tone. I find that pedals that accept 18V are less prone to that crackly fizzling fuzz too.
    That twin twelve clone of yours is my favourite I’ve tried, and that had a charge pump. 
    I ended getting an original JHS twin twelve V2 with the switch to change the gain. It's a lot less temperamental with the gain knob. It is indeed a nice saggy overdrive.markj said:
    Another vote for the Liquid Sunshine!
    What’s special about these pedals.

I may have to look into this one.   

It's not magic.

It just makes a very clean amp sound slightly hairy and adds a bit of focus to other pedals

It has the additional benefit that it can make pedals that don't sound good into the amp sound good when stacked into the LS.

I have the V2 I understand the V3 is somewhat different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 274
    MI Effects Crossover drive here. It's 'cascaded' jfets (four stages I think) and does the sparkly clean through to heavy rock. Blurb says its based on their learnings from developing their amps - which may explain why its takes other pedals into it so well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom