Definitely do not get a Sonos

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 676
Just had an email from Sonos apologising for the complete nightmare caused by their latest update. It broke nearly everything. “Very sorry, we will fix things soon/maybe.”
No ability to roll back. Just live with your newly bricked system until we are goddamn well good and ready. You suckers. Mwahahaha!

Is there a 3rd party app that actually works?

More justification to never ever ever buy a Sonos product ever. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7445
    Its still annoying they didnt update their full range to support the new app. I have a useless bridge sitting around doing nothing now. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12894
    edited July 26
    You have my sympathy.

I have an old Sonos 1 and a Sonos 3.  I'd never buy Sonos kit again either.  The speakers themselves deliver a decent enough sound (when working) but my word, the software and app have been flaky from the word go.  My daughter managed to get them linked and working again (by reverting back to an old version of the app) but it's been unreliable from the outset.  We did manage to get it to work with Alexa at some point in the past, but now I just don't bother.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7892
    Its still annoying they didnt update their full range to support the new app. I have a useless bridge sitting around doing nothing now. 
    yes I had a faff over that too - had a mix of an older Play 5, two Play Ones and a Beam 2. I've ended up removing the Play 5 from the system and upgraded the rest to the newer system. 

Not aware of this update though - when I get home will they all be bricked? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2897
    I’ve got a beam for the tele and I occasionally stream music to it

It is very good and have had no problems for ages and ages since I used the right connector (not the optical one)

BBC speech lags occasionally but no other channels do.  That suggests nothing to do with the beam
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11842
    tFB Trader
    My Sonos Kit bought late last year is all bricked - won't connect to iPhone or iPad. Sonos 5, era 100 and Port - all useless right now .
    I thought it was because BT gave us a new router and I got a new iPhone, but it seems to be way bigger than that .

I'm fast becoming of the opinion that I don't like smart internet controlled devices and would never have my security or essential kit operated by that , because as soon as a developer slips up or loses interest you are fucked

I'll just go back to manually putting CDs into the HiFi and using my Marshall Stanmore with my iPhone which if I'm fair is way better sounding than the Sonos 5 anyway

Just pissed off with the waste of money getting the Sonos.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    edited July 26
    I don't understand them...like what do they offer over an old school Stereo (amp + bookshelf) system?  now days you just add a Bluetooth streaming to Phono device that cost £20 and you can stream from your phone too?

Is it the convenience of they can link several around the house? Do people really move around the house that much to actually need that?
    Is it the small compact, wife approved decor solution?
    Is it the sound quality for the price?

Recent years I've gone backwards in my tech needs.  Somethings I just don't need it to be smart.

Coffee grinder...don't even want one with a screen.
    Frying pans....heck, I don't even want coated, give me Carbon Steel or Stainless Steel.
    I've disconnected my Harmony Remote and just use ARC feature.

If I want to stream music, the receiver has BT built in. 1 room with music is enough, the house isn't that big!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28140
    I have a handful of them - the middle sized soundbar+sub and 4x Era 100 speakers. 

Those all seem unaffected so far but I also never use their app and only ever stream via Airplay using Apple Music or Spotify. Not sure if that makes a difference. 

In any case it’s really shitty business practice these days. I love the product on the whole but won’t be buying any more unless they make a commitment to never pulling this sort of shit again, and at least providing legacy support for a reasonable period of time. There’s no excuse for bricking old kit
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 845
    The new Sonos app is just junk. Slow, clunky, volume buttons barely work, takes forever to actually get a song to play. I did install a 3rd part app called Sonophone which worked ok, but I’m so cheesed off with the whole thing I’ve barely used it.

I can’t quite believe Sonos allowed this app out into the wild…it seems like a child developed it and no-one checked it before publishing it. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12894

I can’t quite believe Sonos allowed this app out into the wild…it seems like a child developed it and no-one checked it before publishing it. 
    Incredible isn't it... who'd have believed a s/w company would release a faulty, buggy, shitty update to their product...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28220
    I had some Sonos kit years ago, thinking it was "the answer" to streaming around the house.

It wasn't.

When one of the components stopped working just out of warranty, Sonos "took care of me" with a 10% discount offer to replace it.  So I binned it all and haven't regretted it.

There are too many other easy options nowadays that don't rely on proprietary hardware / software and buggy apps.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7892
    The only time I ever use the Sonos apps is to set up the devices. 

Mine all seem.to.be working fine - play music via voice assistant or airplay or.connected TV. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1535
    Ive got two. A 1 and a 5 i think it is.  Forgot i even had them. App is a pita. I also have to use the bridge. Alright when i first got it but it just annoys now. 
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 403
    TimmyO said:
    The only time I ever use the Sonos apps is to set up the devices. 

Mine all seem.to.be working fine - play music via voice assistant or airplay or.connected TV. 
    Same here, no issues at all with mine but I never use the Sonos app and haven’t updated in well over a year.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2534
    My radiogram seems to be working still. Phew!