Strat control layout

What's Hot
JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 450
The knobs on the standard Fender Stratocaster and variations thereof are in the wrong place, i.e. too close to the picking area. Discuss.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bencam1997bencam1997 Frets: 21
    Hated it at first when I kept knocking the volume down accidentally. Then got used to it over time and avoided knocking it. Then appreciated how close it was to quickly adjust during playing. Now I've not owned a strat in a while I'd probably hate it again :) Could always remove one of the tone pots and have a master volume and master tone in the bottom two holes, plug the top hole
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    edited July 26
    You’re are of course correct. However, when I’ve said this in the past I’ve been told it’s not a Strat problem it’s a case of adjusting my technique. Of course it’s a Strat issue - else I’d need to adjust my technique for all guitars.

Something like Yamaha’s Pacifica where the selector switch is moved only a few mm further from the picking area, and which has two knobs rather than three seems to avoid these issues (IMO of course).

However, I do agree with @bencam1997 that once you’ve got used to things it does make it nice and easy to adjust the volume or pickup selection without having to move your picking hand too much.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28133
    No, they're fine. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24200
    edited July 26
    It doesn't bother me, and anyway it looks cool.  I wouldn't mind if it was just one volume, one tone, but it wouldn't look half so funky.
    I think the Strat scratchplate - the shape, the pickup configuration, the arrangement of the controls - is an absolutely wonderful thing.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 450
    The Strat control layout has some advantages over others and I've played and owned many Strats and Fender type guitars for many years, but I still frequently clock it with the picking hand, which is painful.

Also, credit to Leo Fender and whoever else contributed to the design, I think a lot of thought went into that layout.

I had a Washburn like the one below and, although it's essentially a variation on the Strat, the control layout was utterly shit.  Volume knob too far up relative to the pickup, all three knobs too close to each other, and it was basically impossible to use the switch without the knobs getting in the way.  I was going to make a new scratchplate, but in the end I just sold the guitar.

• JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 450
    edited July 26
    The Jazzmaster gets the Vol knob position just about right IMO

• steersteer Frets: 1227
    I've seen this said before, but I cannot ever remember it being a problem for me. I sometimes try to get the really chimey sound by hitting the strings really close the bridge, but even then its not been a problem. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8167
    I've played on the standard Strat layout for many years and I STILL often end up making enough repeated contact with the volume knob to roll it off bit by bit as I'm playing.  I'm not sure whether I would still keep contacting it if it was maybe 1.5cm further away, but I still prefer having one volume and two tones, so I just live with it.  On a couple that have pots with a particularly loose rotational resistance I have placed foam or rubber washers under the knobs to mitigate the effect.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 273
    I have a deformed right hand and it’s always been a problem, but a simple fix, remove the middle tone control and replace it with the volume pot, wire the remaining tone pot as a master and finally find a suitable grommet to fill the hole . 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    Never bothered me and I've been playing Strats on and off for nearly 50 years.  Perhaps I'm used to it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28133
    I’ve always wondered about this despite not having problems with it myself. For my copper build I went for master volume & tone roughly where the gaps between knobs would usually be.  It’s not bad but honestly the volume is just a tiny bit further away than I’d like… :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 861
    Silver Sky positioning is spot on. There’s only a few mm difference between that and the Fender position but it makes a big difference.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 543
    My only issue is knocking the volume pot and reducing volume whole playing. Easily fixed with a foam washer to make it harder to turn. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25048
    I don't like it.

I keep meaning to do the 1 vol, 1 tone mod.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

I've got a vague - very vague - plan to one day put together a 7/8-sized Strat from Warmoth parts.  In that instance I would go for one volume, one tone because I think it would be too cramped otherwise.
  • Yep, considering it’s quite a well designed guitar otherwise, that placement is a complete mess. 

I’m sure it’s fine for some people but if you do a lot of palm muting or naturally play with your hand near the bridge for that reason or another then it makes it virtually unplayable. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 650
    It's perfect as it is for me.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    edited July 26
    If you think that the established control positioning is poor, you should see the early prototypes with the knobs set parallel with the edge of the guitar body.

I can see the sense of master tone at the bottom corner of the pickguard and master volume in the "Edward" position, midway between the upper tone control and the original volume.

I never strike the volume control on a regular Stratocaster. I learned to confine my picking hand movements thanks to the metal lip of a vintage style Telecaster bridge. Rap your fingernails on that a few times and you'll soon discipline yourself.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4303
    I play with a lot of palm muting and I absolutely can't get on with it at all.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)