Flippers…(not the Dolphin kind)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2193
    Sorry to say it, don't get sucked in by sob stories. They don't work in any guitar store or at the super market. I don't mean to sound like asshole.

I've had "I've just got over a heart attack, I really want this but only have x amount". Just reply "I'm sorry that's not enough", you can always block them if they keep on. 

You've sold the guitar for the price you wanted. If you want to twist the knife, report them to hmrc. Again don't mean to sound like an ass. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13106
    Got to be honest, I don't really understand why anyone selling guitars falls for "sob stories" - they're luxury items and completely unnecessary from an ownership point of view. 

"if you don't give me a discount on this Fender Custom Shop then my kids will be sleeping on the streets tonight" doesn't sound quite right, does it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1101
    Philly_Q said:
    It says £4,200 on the ad now. Is it the same guitar?
    Still says £3,500 when I look at it.  Seems like your eBay view is adding 20% VAT...?

Yep, that'll be it.
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 248
    JJ72 said:
    Don't know much about these things and know that the pictures aren't copyrighted but can you stop him/then using your pictures and make them upload their own?

The copyright typically belongs to the creator of the image, so the OP is likely to own the copyright. The copyright owner has the right to demand that their photos are not used.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1088
    In reality they don't make as much profit as it appears, especially if they are using Ebay because the fees are ridiculous on there.

What usually happens is a buyer will make an offer rather than pay the full asking price. So, say it sells with an offer for £3250. Then he has to pay 10% straight to Ebay in Fees. So it's now only £2925. Call it £2900 after postage fees and any other bollocks you get shafted with when selling stuff online (packaging costs etc).

So he will have made about £600 on it. Not the £1100 profit it might look like.

Of course, if he was sensible he would use other online selling platforms that are free to use, then he could keep most of his profits.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • daisie_guitardaisie_guitar Frets: 147
    Not sure if I'd call him a flipper. Doesn't have much in his ebay seller history, definitely not the bedroom dealer that does this often. Maybe he couldn't bond with it, decided to sell, but not urgent and will try to get the best price, start at 3.5k, lower ti if it doesn't sell...
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1342
    He's probably wondering what the fuck is going on here:

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7367
    ...wasn't Flipper actually a Porpoise?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8887
    57Deluxe said:
    It’s not my plaice to say.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2275
    To be fair the seller doesn't look like a serial flipper - this is the only guitar listed and there are no completed listings.  Could be a change of circumstances or need for cash.  He's not doing himself any favours with the high BiN price and collection only though.  
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    57Deluxe said:
    It’s not my plaice to say.
    Can we scale down such puns
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5361
    Can’t beat a good pun though, it’s good for the sole 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7226
    tFB Trader
    No point whaling about it
  • dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 153
    Offered him £1900 and got a counter offer of £2800…
  • razorbillrazorbill Frets: 86
    edited 4:32PM
    Offered him £1900 and got a counter offer of £2800…
    Which would be £130 over what he paid after ebay fees without a FVF promotion. Seems like he is just selling it on and leaving lots of room for offers.