Power Banks for Single Effect Pedals

What's Hot
For years I've used a single multi-effects (Boss gt8)

I'm now planning to move to single pedals again and I'm starting with a Jim Dunlop Wah.

I realise I will need a power supply and was going to buy the one recommended for it whilst on the website but then it struck me that I used to use a Powerbank (ie: one plug that then feeds a number separate power leads out to individual effects pedals).

I recall the one I used to use was cheap and I'm sure it made my pedals noisy.

So, anyone using a power bank or daisy chain power lead for their single pedals? Any advice/recommendations?

Thanks
Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I use a Power Bank branded power supply largely because it was cheap and all I could afford at the time. I've had one crap out on me (probably the fuse) but this one has been reliable for years. It probably is noisy and not good for my signal chain but until I start making some band money, it's staying.

My advice would be to spend what you can on power as it will make a difference if you start using lots of pedals, and it's a universal thing i.e. you will always need to power your gear unless you are a mashochist and start using batteries!

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1690
    I wasted time and money trying cheapo power bricks and the big Harley Benton unit (though I hear the small one is much better), but now I use the Decibel 11 hot stone deluxe. Isolated outs and toroidal transformer seemed too be the key features that cured my noise issues.
  • Depanding on how many pedals you're using, there are two decent budget  offerings. There is a Fame unit at around £35 with 8 isolated outlets:

There is also a Harley Benton Jnr with 5 isolated outlets at around £23:

I have both and they have performed perfectly for me.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The old power banks weren't actually isolated - they were simply a ported daisy chain, so they were noisy. I used two for years with no issues other than noise before Voodoo Pedal Powers were available easily in the UK.

As long as they're isolated, I found most supplies were quiet and worked well, tbh. I'd use batteries with a wah though - deffo sounds better to me and a 9v in a wah which isn't left plugged in all the time when not in use lasts ages.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Also - get one with a detachable power cable!!!!!

What do you envisage needing to power is the main issue.
  • I use a Diago Micropower9 with a daisy chain for mine. It doesn't introduce any noise even compared to a Voodoo Labs expensive thing, but then my pedals are fairly well-behaved (two TC delays, a Boo Boost, Mooer phaser and a Polytune Mini).

I also have a Mooer 9V supply which is similarly quiet.

Most modern pedals are pretty good like that, but beware fuzzes and wahs.
    <space for hire>
  • I use a Diago Micropower9 with a daisy chain for mine. It doesn't introduce any noise even compared to a Voodoo Labs expensive thing, but then my pedals are fairly well-behaved (two TC delays, a Boo Boost, Mooer phaser and a Polytune Mini).

I also have a Mooer 9V supply which is similarly quiet.

Most modern pedals are pretty good like that, but beware fuzzes and wahs.
    Thanks. It's a wah I am starting with. After that a booster, then probably delay, chorus. Who knows after that. I only use some weird effects from the GT8 occasionally.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I use the supply that came with my Boss BCB-60 and (so far) it has worked very well daisy chained with no noise issues.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24783
    Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2
    Gigrig Power Generator with Distributors and Isolators.

Both work great.
  • If you're on a budget and don't have anything too juicy, the Harley Benton Powerplant JUNIOR is isolated.  The bigger one isn't.  

It's small and works great. Comes with tons of cables, too.  

However, a great quality, more powerful one could be an investment for life. 
  • DanDan Frets: 448
    There is also a Harley Benton Jnr with 5 isolated outlets at around £23:

This.

Just ordered my second as my pedal board is expanding.
  • I'm starting to see a thread. Looks like a Harley Benton Jnr it is.

Thanks everyone for the input.