Broken headstock repair - Scotland

What's Hot
Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1681
I've just had a bit of an accident with my Maybach and broken the headstock. Currently feeling just utterly sickened as I absolutely adore this guitar - it's like a Les Paul was made specifically for me and was just perfection.

I know it's not going to be cheap, I've killed it's value and, worst of all, might never be the same guitar again. However, hoping to find someone within a reasonable driving distance of Edinburgh who might be able to salvage it.

I know I could ship to somewhere down south but, given the state it's already in, don't want to compound both the problems and the stress dealing with a courier.

Does anyone know anybody up this way who might be the right kind of guy to repair such a break?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rprrpr Frets: 317
    Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow worth a call ..?.
    https://strungoutguitars.com/ ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1681
    rpr said:
    Yeah, I'd seen they look like they could do such a job and it's where @ICBM used to work so was thinking about giving them a call. Hoping to see if someone round these parts has had any experience with them or anyone else in the area so I'd feel like it's in good hands.
  • JodyJamesJodyJames Frets: 41
    edited July 29
    The Guitar Workshop - I’ve used most places in Glasgow over the years and those guys are fantastic. I’ve had mixed results with most others other than Hunter Guitar Repair who i’d also recommend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    Yeah definitely recommend the Guitar Workshop in Glasgow 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74418
    Strung Out have a very long wait time at the moment I think.

Chris McIntyre might also be worth a call.

https://www.mcintyreguitars.com

NB, if you haven't done already, take the remaining string tension off it completely - the key to a good repair with a break like this is if the broken wood fibres go back together as perfectly as possible, and you don't want the headstock getting pulled around by the strings.

Does it also appear to have a flaw in the wood, right where the break started? Even if you bashed it as well, that might explain why it broke.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11903
    tFB Trader
    rpr said:
    I do their pickup rewinds and they are lovely people :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

ICBM said:
    Strung Out have a very long wait time at the moment I think.

Chris McIntyre might also be worth a call.

https://www.mcintyreguitars.com

NB, if you haven't done already, take the remaining string tension off it completely - the key to a good repair with a break like this is if the broken wood fibres go back together as perfectly as possible, and you don't want the headstock getting pulled around by the strings.

Does it also appear to have a flaw in the wood, right where the break started? Even if you bashed it as well, that might explain why it broke.
    I've removed the strings so not under tension any more. I'm not quite sure if I can see an obvious flaw in the wood - it basically slipped out of my hand and toppled face first onto the wooden floor so took a reasonable whack but pretty astonished it was enough to make it buckle.

I'd thought about Chris as he's local and I'd used him before so might also give him a shout (although I recall he always used to be very busy as well).

At least it's a relic I guess....
    Dan_Halen said:

I'm not quite sure if I can see an obvious flaw in the wood
    Dan_Halen said:

What's the dark spot in the wood, next to the edge of the break and directly above the end of the nut as seen in this pic?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• M1ckM1ck Frets: 265
    edited July 29
    Not sure if he does repairs but it’s only a phone call to find out - Mark Bailey https://www.baileyguitars.co.uk/ is just outside Glasgow and is ex Eggle. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 29
    ICBM said:
    Dan_Halen said:

I'm not quite sure if I can see an obvious flaw in the wood
    Dan_Halen said:

What's the dark spot in the wood, next to the edge of the break and directly above the end of the nut as seen in this pic?
    I think it’s a bit of lacquer/paint that’s detached from the other side. Bit odd how that one piece seemed to stay attached. Can see a bit better from this angle where it’s come from -

• OffsetOffset Frets: 13929
    Oh crikey @Dan_Halen - that's heartbreaking.  Hopefully you can get it properly sorted.

May I ask how on earth that happened?
  • HumboldtHumboldt Frets: 69
    I've recently used Ayrshire Guitar Repairs. Workmanship is top quality but there's usually a waiting list.

https://www.facebook.com/ayrshireguitarrepair/
    Offset said:
    Oh crikey @Dan_Halen - that's heartbreaking.  Hopefully you can get it properly sorted.

May I ask how on earth that happened?
    Cheers. I’m absolutely gutted!

Just a lack of due care on my part unfortunately. I was holding it upright with one hand whilst fiddling around with the Kemper on the floor under the desk with the other and just somehow let go of it. The sort of thing I’ve done hundreds or thousands of times before but this time had a brain fart.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8996
    As soon as you can get somebody to assess it and quote for the work, find out if it is going to need a headstock face overlay or complete refinishing of the headstock.  If so you will need to see whether Maybach can supply a new logo.  You might have to order it through their only official distributer up here, namely Forth Music in Kirkcaldy.
    Dan_Halen said:

I think it’s a bit of lacquer/paint that’s detached from the other side. Bit odd how that one piece seemed to stay attached. Can see a bit better from this angle where it’s come from -

That is very odd!

I've also seen a Les Paul break in the same way - it fell forward onto the floor (carpet, not hard) from a stand, and the inertia of the headstock pulled it far enough forward to snap at the back. It's just a risk with this type of neck.

• KevSKevS Frets: 626
    edited July 29
    So sorry this happened to you,,I would be devastated..Chris is great although obviously busy..He really is an attention to detail guy..He won't cut any corners..He may be a bit more pricey than others,but I've never received a rushed half done job from him..
    He's always been a safe bet with me..You Love the guitar,,you are trying to save a love not an object..If he will take it on,,even if the wait will be a long time..His refrets are by far the best I have ever had..I would go this route..Even if he said could you call me in a few weeks..There are other repair folk in Edinburgh,,but I have found Chris the best..I don't want to mention the ones I have had bad experiences with in Edinburgh,,that I think are still doing work..Or charging to feck your guitar...If you can't get Chris and you find an alternative..PM me..If it's one I know of I will share my experiences..
    Cheers gents. Got some avenues to pursue so will see how I get on and update here in due course.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1550
    Another shout for Iain and Isaac at The Guitar Workshop in Glasgow. They've done outstanding work for me consistently.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17470
    edited July 29
    That will go back together well and shouldnt need any additional splnts or backstraps.. just a glue and touch up.   Shouldn't be too noticeable with that finish either since it's nice and dark

I doubt the guitar will be much different after.   Some claim they get better after a break.  This a bit far, but there is no reason to expect it to be worse if repaired professionally 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5210
    edited July 29
    Gutted for you mate, it's the one thing we all fear with Gibson style necks. I hope you get it sorted and have no issues after. 

I'd be shipping it to Feline without fail though personally, in a hard case, well packed in a box with the gaps in the case packed so the guitar can't move and the headstock cradled it should be right as rain. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...