EHX Neo clone, Small Stone Nano and Nano Big Muff- any good?

What's Hot
Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
edited November 2014 in FX
Hey everyone

More inane pedal GAS...

Are the EHX Neo clone, Small Stone Nano and Nano Big Muff any good? Do they sound (more or less) like the bigger versions?

I just need (!) a pretty standard analogue chorus, phaser and muff for my lower gain board, and they're pretty small and cheap(ish). And if I remember correctly I liked the bigger versions when I tried them (but don't have room for the bigger ones).

Thanks for your help :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    Not tried the others but the Small Stone Nano is up there with the better phasers, IMO. I haven't tried a big one, mind.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 620
    I love my Small Stone Nano - sounds great and improves on the big version as there's no perceived volume drop to my ears....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    By all accounts, the normal Nano Clone is pretty good too, and cheaper than the Neo Clone.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    edited November 2014
    I'd agree the Small Stone Nano is pretty solid and a great core phaser sound.

Have owned vintage ones in the past and its pretty close to the originals. Just much better build quality, less noisy and far more reliable.

Bought one about 3-4 months ago for a mini board and compared it to the Mooer Phaser (which is based on an MXR Phase 90) and would say the EH is more organic and 'churny'. Would also agree doesn't suffer from 'volume drop' when engaged and if you want a small footprint phaser for reasonable money you can't go wrong with it really.

A simple effective phaser and plays well with other pedals.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited November 2014
    Excellent, thanks guys, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear regarding the phaser. :D I wasn't aware of the volume drop with the bigger small stone, but if the nano one doesn't have it, that's even better :D

^ That's interesting you compared it to the mooer- I haven't tried the mooer, but I have the mxr script/LED phase 90 which is pretty nice (it's on my high gain board, I'll put the EHX one on my low gain board, most likely anyway).

Has anyone tried the nano muff?
    Bidley said:
    By all accounts, the normal Nano Clone is pretty good too, and cheaper than the Neo Clone.
    Thanks- the nano doesn't seem to have the depth switch, though. I figure for an extra tenner I might as well have it, just in case. EDIT: Also I just checked the EHX website and the nano clone doesn't appear to be able to be daisy-chained? Not sure I understood why, it just seems to be a regular centre-negative 9V jack, but I wouldn't risk my other pedals (which is what the instruction manual said it would do) without looking into it a bit more. :))
  • The Nano clone is terrible, the Neo works well. 

The nano small stone is good though, it works well through out the range of the dial. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited November 2014
    ^ Thanks. I thought I'd read somewhere that the nano clone wasn't great, but wasn't sure.

Pretty sure I've heard what I want regarding the neo clone and nano small stone- unless anyone else warns me off them I'll probably chance them.

No-one's tried the nano muff? Haven't heard anything here or elsewhere where I asked... :))
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    My understanding was that the Neo Clone was launched as a response to people generally thinking the Nano Clone was cheaply made shite. I can't speak from first hand experience though so might be wrong!
    edited November 2014
    ^ LOL, thanks. That's the feeling I got as well. :)) Most of the other nano pedals are just smaller versions of the bigger pedal (i.e. same circuit, or at least close enough), whereas the nano clone didn't have the depth switch and seemed to be very much a stripped-down version. That's the impression I got, anyway, and I think I've read reviews and opinions online which corroborated that (but I could be misremembering).

Listened to a bunch of Youtube clips last night- I definitely prefer the sound of the neo clone to the nano clone.

The really big versions (of all the pedals) might sound slightly sweeter (just listening to clips, so could well be wrong), just I have no room. Kind of annoying since the price difference is negligible (apart from the stone, where the big version doesn't seem to be available new any more).
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited November 2014
    I've got a small clone clone that's a clone of the big small clone but in a small box for sale currently...

On my site as I've not got around to updating the purge thread yet...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2014
    You're 24 hours too late unfortunately :)) I just put in a thomann order last night. I appreciate the offer, though.

LOL at the first sentence, best sentence ever :))