Delays- I need some advice / tips

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1766

Hi Guys

I have to admit that i'm quite niaive about delays.

As the only guitarist in the band I play in i recognise that Delay could really help with the sound that I'm producing.

So far (after years of playing) i've been reluctant to use delay as it often sounds that I'm playing in a bathroom and I've often thought it makes my playing sound worse, however i recognise this is probably an important tool that I should be using.

So any tips/ideas on how to get on with a delay pedal?

Curerntly i've only a really cheap Belcat Delay pedal however am wanting to upgrade to something like a Boss DD3. The delay goes straight into the front of the amp rather than through an FX loop.

Thank you

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    If you use the amps gain, you should really put the delay in the loop

Roll back the mix so it doesn't intrude on your playing, also, use the Delay's EQ to separate it from your dry signal

Upgrade your delay, the Boss will most likely sound a lot better

Tap tempo so it fits in with the song

Watch youtube for tips/tricks / listen to songs that have used it well

Buy a timeline because it is the most expensive and will sound the best and TGP will like you more 

ummm, fuck it, out of ideas... don't use delay :)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    If you don't want to splash out too much, get the wonderfully named Behringer VD400, usually about £20 or so. 

It's essentially a 'tribute' to the Boss DM3. 

It's all analogue so it's got that warm grainy breakup, but it sounds pretty clear on the repeats too. 

It does everything from snapback echo sounds to longer 'ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space' type stuff. It can also get ambient, reverie type sounds too. 

And very best of all you can get it to self-oscillate by maxing everything out so you can play your very own version of Mars Attacks and keep you and any young children you know happy for hours. 

It goes up to about 400ms of delay time, but you can open it up and alter one of the trim pots for a bit more delay. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17852
    tFB Trader
    I've had one of those Belcats they are actually really good. I think they might be a Mad Prof Deep Blue clone. 

The key thing is to pull the repeats back to one or two and keep the level fairly low. 

The temptation with pedals is to start with everything on 12, but with delays I like to start with level and repeats on 9 o'clock and time at something like 300-450ms.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    He's not everyone's cuppa I know, but I was told that Joe Bonnamassa has a Boss Dd3 with everything set at 12 o clock which I think is a great setting to use.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Delay can do a tonne of shit. It's important to have a goal though, if you just smash it on everything it washes out your sound. For lead parts try using it with just 1/2 repeats.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Here's the current settings on my DD-6

Level - 50%

Feedback (repeats) - 25%

Delay time - 60%

Mode - 300ms

Like monquixote said, starting with everything at half-way is good for most pedals (it's how I test to see if I like a dirt, chorus, flanger or phaser), but for delays, start lower, and find the best place for each control.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    The mxr carbon copy is a good place to start!