The Doors

DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
edited November 2014 in Music
I went to see The Doors Alive tonight. Flat out awesome band and while I've never followed The Doors very closely I did notice the guitar player using fingers rather than pick and his tone was stunning.

Did the original guitarist do this and if so why did I never notice this before?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Yep Robbie used his tips too :) SG with p90s I think.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Great player.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Robbie was very influenced by flamenco, awesome band them old Doors
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I love The Doors. Gibson have just released the LA Woman Les Paul Custom.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    Yes, Robbie Krieger is a fingers-only player - formerly a flamenco guitarist before he got into rock. He's always used SGs, both P90 Specials and humbucker Standards, but occasionally used a 50s Les Paul Custom which Gibson have now picked up on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Cheers guys. Great show that tonight.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11431
    I was too young to see The Doors, but when I first saw The Australian Doors it was like a religious experience.

According to more than one source I've read, the first time Robbie Krieger picked up an electric guitar was when he joined The Doors.
  • Kriegers flamenco skills are on full display in the song "Spanish Caravan", which borrows heavily from "Asturias(Leyenda)", a masterpiece by Isaac Albeniz (1860 – 1909) composed for piano but favored by guitarists in both classical and flamenco genres.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay