Recommendation for someone to refinish my Les Paul top, in the N’west.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 944
I’ve got a 2002 Gibson les Paul standard that is a fantastic guitar that is probably better than the R9 I used to own.
 I would like the original sunburst finish on the top of the guitar changed to a dirty lemon/ honey burst.
The finish doesn’t have to  be high gloss more of a VOS to match the aged nickel hardware.
Any recommendations would be very welcome. I live in the north west.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25004
    James Philip Porter (I think he’s moving premises - he was in Salford). Good guy who trained under one of the best in the business (the late Ted Lee).
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 247
    The Northwest is a big area.

I've used Richie Tomson in Wigan and Mike Smith in Southport. Either could do a good job for you at sensible prices.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3456
    Not that I've had it done, I've never had a guitar refinished, yet alone refinished in the UK.   I've been thinking about and looking at putting together a partscater for myself, for quite a while now.  From what I've been reading, and heard from people, is that the ''best'' is rarely from a ''proper business'', the best is being done by people treating it as more of a ''hobby'' for lack of a better term - they're proper businesses, and not large scale.  I can't confirm this, it's just something that I've been hearing from everybody I've spoken to who has had a guitar refinished. or finished for them, and read online, even on this forum.  Personally, I've been finding it a huge ''rabbit hole'' to find somebody to finish a guitar body for me, though half of that is me deciding on the finish.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 944

I've used Richie Tomson in Wigan and Mike Smith in Southport. Either could do a good job for you at sensible prices.
    I’ve used Tomson guitars before for other things, didn’t know that he would do a refin.
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 247
    markj said:

I’ve used Tomson guitars before for other things, didn’t know that he would do a refin.

If you look on his web page you will see he makes electrics (I use him for my acoustics) so he must be able to finish. It's not much of a stretch to believe he can refinish. Give him a bell and ask. Similarly for Mark.
    Tried everyone from the list and no luthier is interested.
    Can’t find James Philip Porters contact details.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aconitethrillaconitethrill Frets: 89
    edited August 29
    I think Pete at Rigby Music in Stockport offers refinishing - may be worth dropping him a line?

https://www.theguitarandbassshop.co.uk/setups/refinish-colour-service
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2547
    edited August 29
    markj said:
    He used to be at Noiseboy Studios in Salford, so if you drop them a message, they might have his details if he has indeed moved to different premises. I used to pop my head in and his finish work always looked great.

EDIT update - found his details, looks like his website is still under construction and he's between premises, but his number's on here so it's worth checking:
    https://www.musiciango.com/local-business/instrument-repair/philip-porter-guitars

Speaking of places I used to use in Manchester, Jack's Instrument Services do finish work: https://jacksinstrumentservices.com/prices.html
    Tim
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25004
    edited August 29
    markj said:
    I’ve PM’d you his mobile
    Guitar was dropped off this afternoon to Mr Porter, will give updates when I get the guitar back.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom