Grinding

What's Hot
Not that kind, you filthy, filthy minds!

I'm talking about Bruxism! Turns out I'm getting worse and worse for grinding my teeth during sleep to the point where you can physically hear it quite easily. Anybody have similar? I'm wondering if I should get something done by my dentist, or just buy a generic mouthguard (£30!). 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Giggedy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • :D I've never been bothered about it but noticed I can feel it some mornings in my teeth... last thing I want is cracked teeth or root canal treatment in future...!
  • I'm a bit partial to a backside 360 to nose Smith :)

But for your type of grind to dentist, my wife had problem and tried mouthguard, didn't work so went dentist who had a mouthguard moulded for my wife; 2 months later no mouthguard needed.
  • Oh really?? I hear those were only temporary solutions (the main one being... therapy!?!?!?!). How much did it cost to get that from the dentist?
  • I have a moulded mouthguard, although I rarely use it TBH. I think it cost about £60 from the dentist. Not too sure but it wasn't over £100.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Thanks for the info - I might check this out... moulded has to be better than generic from the shops. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4389
    I have the same problem. I've done it since I was a kid. I got mouth guards from the dentist for the top and bottom gnashers. They aren't uncomfortable and you get used to them pretty quick. To be honest though, I did just use a standard boil and bite one for years and it was fine. The ones from the dentist just fit better.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    Thanks for the info - I might check this out... moulded has to be better than generic from the shops. 
    Right choice.  The shop ones are bulkier and aimed at Rugby players etc ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

My old dentist told me I ground my teeth in my sleep. £90 for a mouthguard to stop this.

No other dentist has told me this.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• It will cause damage that will eventually lighten your wallet way more than a proper solution from your dentist, I'd definitely recommend getting it sorted soon.

If a dentist was simply trying to make money out of you they could come up with something much more lucrative than a mouthguard.
  • Definitely need to get it sorted.. thanks all!
  • Well, I went to the dentist and he doesn't think I need gum shields at all - says there's no sign of obvious wear. 
    But I thought the whole point was prevention! I'm clearly doing it so....!?

On another note, I just got two massive injections for travelling to India and due to get some more. Ugh!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    mike_l said:

My old dentist told me I ground my teeth in my sleep. £90 for a mouthguard to stop this.

hang on, he slept with you yet you had to pay him?!?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What is it that makes you grind your teeth? How could you solve the root (no pun intended) cause?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Lol to the above posts!!

I don't know, I just tend to do it... even during the day when I'm thinking about things. Must try to stop it - I wouldn't say I was overly stressed or anything :s
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    could it be the mind control implant playing up?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    mike_l said:

My dentist told me I grind my teeth. I said I was married. To her credit, she raised an eyebrow, but simply carried on with the examination.

• Lol to both comments :D
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    VimFuego said:
    mike_l said:

hang on, he slept with you yet you had to pay him?!?

Her, my dentist is a lady. At least the dentist who told me that was a lady...........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I did it for while, but Mrs.Electrodan hasn't mentioned it in years. Hopefully it will sort itself out for you as it did with me.