Midi Novice seeking help please

Hello all
I'm looking at dipping into Midi 
I want to use midi to program my Digitech Whammy to reproduce Map of the problematique. I believe it uses Oct +1, Oct -1 and on/off.
My question is, can I program this sequence into a midi controller and then use that live? 
I want to be able to press a button and it starts that sequence at the tempo of the track for me. 
I was looking at controllers Morningstar MC 3 looks good but will take recommendation on what will do this for me.
Thank you good people

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5290
    Rkphilpot said:
    Hello all
    I'm looking at dipping into Midi 
    I want to use midi to program my Digitech Whammy to reproduce Map of the problematique. I believe it uses Oct +1, Oct -1 and on/off.
    My question is, can I program this sequence into a midi controller and then use that live? 
    I want to be able to press a button and it starts that sequence at the tempo of the track for me. 
    I was looking at controllers Morningstar MC 3 looks good but will take recommendation on what will do this for me.
    Thank you good people

I would guess not. I think you probably could do it with a DAW- Ableton etc. by mapping the MIDI changes to a "recording" (that wouldn't need to have anything else in it), but that's way outside my wheelhouse.

What you could do with a pedalboard MIDI controller is assign three different footswitches to switch the Whammy pedal between modes....aaand I've just listened to the track. Never mind.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5290
    OK, new idea. I use a Boss ES-5, and it has a function (Assign) that allows it to send MIDI CC data constantly (like turning a knob in real time, or in your case, moving the Whammy pedal treadle). You can set it- I think- to send effectively a square wave LFO- minimum value, maximum value, minimum again- in tempo.

That would allow you to do one of the octave shifts (+1 or -1) with the pedal, but by playing octaves on your guitar you could create the impression that it was doing both- play a note an octave up and a -1 octave shift on the pedal puts you back at the first note you played.

I don't know whether other MIDI controllers let you do the same thing, but I suspect they do.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.