Sending a courier to collect a mixing desk from an ebay seller

What's Hot
What company would you use? I’ve never sent a courier to pick something up before so not sure who is good..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 5055
    How would this work?  When you collect something in person, the seller has to scan a barcode / QR code on the buyer's eBay app to confirm collection.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I use RM ... had them pick up loads of amps 

Most couriers use sub contractors, so asking who's a good courier is a bit pointless unless you go for one of the more expensive premium services 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 677
    Danny1969 said:

Most couriers use sub contractors, so asking who's a good courier is a bit pointless unless you go for one of the more expensive premium services 
    So when you're using royal mail, you just book the collection as though you're the one posting the item and ask them when to show up to collect? So it's the exact same process as if you're the seller of the item and not the buyer?
    edited September 4
    How would this work?  When you collect something in person, the seller has to scan a barcode / QR code on the buyer's eBay app to confirm collection.
    You can send a pic of the QR or just give them the 6 digit code instead.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    hassleham said:
    Danny1969 said:

So when you're using royal mail, you just book the collection as though you're the one posting the item and ask them when to show up to collect? So it's the exact same process as if you're the seller of the item and not the buyer?
    https://www.royalmail.com/collection

yeah pretty much .. So the sellers house is the pickup and your house is the recipient 

You just need the seller to pack it well. In some cases I have posted out an empty box with packaging then got it collected a couple of days later. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I just blanket refuse to buy from sellers who won't organise the courier themselves.

1) the seller still has to wrap it up safely
    2) the seller still has to be at home to have it collected

The only reason for sellers not to arrange their own couriers is either because 

A) they're too lazy to do it - in which case I have mega doubts about their bothering to wrap it up safely 

B) they intend to wash their hands of it as soon as it leaves their possession - in which case they have less incentive to wrap it properly and make sure it arrives intact.

It just gives me a very bad vibe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 262
    We occasionally use a music equipment courier service called LenSpeed Logistics. More expensive than just a UPS job, but he picks up from you direct and delivers door to door.

yeah pretty much .. So the sellers house is the pickup and your house is the recipient 

You just need the seller to pack it well. In some cases I have posted out an empty box with packaging then got it collected a couple of days later. 
    Thanks for this! All went smoothly and only cost £16 for a 20kg mixer in flight case  :3
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I totally agree with you and would always take this approach with a guitar or amp sale however I made an exception with this as it was a small digital mixer in a solid flight case so very little to go wrong with packaging.

But yes when it comes to guitars or amps i would 100% never want to do this!
    I just blanket refuse to buy from sellers who won't organise the courier themselves.

1) the seller still has to wrap it up safely
    2) the seller still has to be at home to have it collected

The only reason for sellers not to arrange their own couriers is either because 

A) they're too lazy to do it - in which case I have mega doubts about their bothering to wrap it up safely 

B) they intend to wash their hands of it as soon as it leaves their possession - in which case they have less incentive to wrap it properly and make sure it arrives intact.

It just gives me a very bad vibe.