Cheap amps are great :)

What's Hot
1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
I've got some very expensive amps around here, but just lately this little guy has been so much fun.....really cool sounding amp

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can agree with that! I love my Danelectro Hodad with it's built in 'echo'. Sounds AWESOME!
  • I think cheap gear which punches above its weight is always an attractive proposition.

My main amp is a Mesa Lonestar Special - and once dialled in correctly, it sounds very good.

But my Blackstar HT1R probably gets as much use. It has far fewer options, works better at lower volumes and doesn't carry any weight of expectation, based on cost. If the sound coming out of it isn't 'perfect' - it doesn't matter - it didn't cost 'perfect' money. Hence, I just get on with playing and enjoying what is does 'right' rather than what it does 'wrong'.

As a direct recording solution, the emulated out - with a little EQ from the desk - is superb.
  • I really enjoy my Vox Pathfinder 15R for the same reason, it cost £60 new and it's loud, the cleans are excellent and it has a speaker out. I take it to gigs as a back up, through a speaker cab it would cope admirably.
  • I've been keeping an eye out for a used one of those...
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I have a peavey nano valve and oh my god does that thing sound good!
    except when plugged into a 4x12 and then it sounds epic, just pure raw marshally goodness.
    In fact it sounds so good that it still gets used despite my recent acquisition of a Swart AST2.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I had a Fender Superchamp x2 -put best possible phillips matched pair 6v6 in it and an eminence ragin cajun speaker and it was a match for any stock deluxe reverb re-issue until things were getting louder than pub gig levels -it sounded huge for a little 10 "
    even if the reverb itself wasnt as spacey as the drri
  • I have a Fender Princetone that sounds ace.

But not cos it's one of the expensive modern tube amps - it's actually a 1994 (long story, but I checked) solid state type thingy that cost 75 quid off fleabay. It's the only amp I have and it is seriously loud.The difference between 'off' and "Woah, easy, tiger!!" is no higher than 2 on the volume knob! I have genuinely never had it louder than 2, it's ridiculous. :-)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    My little Belcat 20r gets a lot of use, proper bargain as I got it for a rather ridiculous price ;) these are called Sub Zero now from Gear4Music

Highly recommended
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Laney Cub 12R!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    BS HT5 for me as a working mans cheap amp
    For a mic'ed up pub & club player this thing is the perfect amp of watts to work hard, no need for power soaks and hot plates it just needs to be turned up and it always sounds good for what it cost. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    sweepy said:
    My little Belcat 20r gets a lot of use, proper bargain as I got it for a rather ridiculous price ;) these are called Sub Zero now from Gear4Music

Highly recommended

------------------------------------
    YOU BASTARD 
    I had good, clear GAS, I knew what I wanted and I was working towards it. I play metal 75% of the time and now you gone and upset me by making me want this:

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100