Worst audition I’ve ever been involved in.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2482
    oh_pollo said:
    I think it's shitty behavior to publish people's texts on a public forum.
    I can't help feeling that this thread should have been in 'friends in need' simply because that category is not open to public view. No matter how the girl performed, it would probably upset her and do nothing for her self confidence to find she is being humiliated on a public forum. No-one deserves that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree that OP should edit the content of the post to remove the verbatim text. 

I also think OP that your ‘overly technical’ thing over the tea and coffee is a bit nonsensical and unfair. When your voice is your instrument it’s a massively different ballgame and it’s never a bad thing to look after it. Your analogy about washing up doesn’t work because things that can cause reflux etc can actually mash up a singing voice over time. There *could* be an argument that she’s being a bit pretentious or more likely deluded if she then can’t sing anyway but that’s a different thing. 

But yeah auditions are hell. IME only the first audition has counted in general. We’ve stuck with people in sort of ‘probation’ periods for both sides and it’s felt icky. We’ve also had friends and recommendations that have turned out to be complete flakes or have poor attitude despite being great fun down the pub. I don’t know that an audition can weed that out as it can sometimes only come out with time.

It’s like work in that you can enjoy somebody’s company but they can be a rubbish colleague. It’s also like work that a personality you find to be nails on a chalkboard can make you want to call in sick.

Basically an audition is the same as a first date isn’t it. It can be terrible and you know it, but it can also be great and you are still taking the risk of a messy break up down the line. We’ve also found that it pays to be upfront about everything - expected number of and type of gigs, music, practice regime, and any costs like rent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    I'm not saying this is the same situation, but our current singer - who's pretty good, at least in a garage/punk/grunge type of context - really wasn't at the first audition. He was... kind of OK. But it was the first time he'd properly sung with a band, and given that we all liked him as a person, that we didn't have anyone else lined up for definite at the time, and I thought (the others possibly a bit less so, although I'm not sure) that I'd heard some potential, we suggested he try again. A week later he was *much* better - still nowhere near as good as he is now, but so hugely improved that it was obvious that he would be fine with a bit more practice. It does help that he's quite an outgoing person with a lot of presence on stage, but even that wouldn't work if he actually couldn't sing, and he very much can - it just wasn't that obvious in the first session.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1861
    Jimbro66 said:
    oh_pollo said:
    I can't help feeling that this thread should have been in 'friends in need' simply because that category is not open to public view. No matter how the girl performed, it would probably upset her and do nothing for her self confidence to find she is being humiliated on a public forum. No-one deserves that.
    And lest we forget we're also only hearing one side of the story here. 
    She might have thought the op was a bit shit too but thought she'd give him a second chance. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 212
    Gandalph said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    oh_pollo said:
    And lest we forget we're also only hearing one side of the story here. 
    She might have thought the op was a bit shit too but thought she'd give him a second chance. 

Absolutely. I’ve got my limitations. 
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 355
    I agree that OP should edit the content of the post to remove the verbatim text.
    He has removed the original but it has been quoted 4 to 5 times (even by the OP) so this is still her message still very much in public. Could every poster check and remove her message from their quotes? Thank you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    In my experience this is very common with singers with a background in karaoke or choir singing.

They are often heavily reliant on using the vocals of others as a guide for timing and pitch and as such never learn it for themselves. 

I always found "Mustang Sally" to be a great test (even though it's a super annoying song) because the timing of the vocals is a bit weird. If someone doesn't understand how to sing with a band they will get hopelessly lost and it becomes very apparent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2664
    tFB Trader
    I once had a female try out for a band I was leading, She was a daughter of a influential and close friend.
    Unfortunately she was completely tone deaf and there was no reason on earth for her to sing, never mind try to sing in a band setting.
    After a week or so of debating with my OH how we should handle it, I nervously told her straight up that she was not very good and would not be joining the band. Her response was I know I can't sing, but I just love it so I thought I would give it a try. 
    I told her to try get some lessons and gave her a copy of singing for dummies.

Worst part is she really had no idea what she had put us through. 
  • Another thread reminding me why I don't bother !! 
  • I once had a female try out for a band I was leading, She was a daughter of a influential and close friend.
    Unfortunately she was completely tone deaf and there was no reason on earth for her to sing, never mind try to sing in a band setting.
    After a week or so of debating with my OH how we should handle it, I nervously told her straight up that she was not very good and would not be joining the band. Her response was I know I can't sing, but I just love it so I thought I would give it a try. 
    I told her to try get some lessons and gave her a copy of singing for dummies.

Worst part is she really had no idea what she had put us through. 
    You were in that band too!!!  :)