Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

To relic or not....

What's Hot
Delicate subject I know, but after drooling over a slightly aged Les Paul 58 standard in Sounds Great last week my Les Paul just looks a bit clean now.

It's the model below and I do plan on it being a keeper so anything I do to it would be only for me.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o605/banjo74/C5D70AF7-07C4-4778-B6BC-172F8A348DE4-5344-000009311F7C0D9D_zps78f500ae.jpg

I've sent an email off to JGX to get a ball park price for a proper job doing.

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    Personally,  I'd just play it - a lot and let it age naturally - there are plenty of well gigged or relic guitars out there... the money spent on getting someone to age it for you could buy something...  

If you were buying a guitar and choosing the look that's different but that looks too nice as it is, so I'd leave it alone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7910
    I've rarely seen a relic job that doesn't look like a relic job. but each to his own, I guess ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    Just play it.

Doing it yourself is questionable enough, paying someone else to do it is stupid. If it comes back and you don't like the result, what do you do?

I don't object to relics in principle by the way. But having seen a vast number of badly-done ones, I would always want to see the result first.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Don't do it to a Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    relic or not get rid of that bloody bigsby, it's ruining a good looking guitar!
  • Play it....it won't stay unreliced for long!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17851
    tFB Trader
    Just give it a hard life and maybe give the back of the neck a bit of a rub down so it's nice and slinky. 
  • Do you take a Fender CS relic back to the dealer if it has a fault in the paintwork ?

Does the light go out in the fridge when you close the door ?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Bogwhoppit;38897" said:
    Do you take a Fender CS relic back to the dealer if it has a fault in the paintwork ?Does the light go out in the fridge when you close the door ?   
    Go out ? Doesn't come on when I open it !
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    If you are going to do it, make sure you do it properly. A badly done relic looks awful.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    koneguitarist;38873" said:
    Don't do it
    i agree. Play it, put natural wear on it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    If its not nitro it won't wear, we'll not in an interesting way. If it were mine I'd do a relic job, but I've done it before and liked the result. You'd need to strip the finish and use nitro though.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    Pretty much agree with others here.
    To do it properly you will have to be very talented at the relic process.

I've seen very few home relic jobs that look any good and you will have ruined a guitar if/when you fuck it up.
  • No. Relics are on the way out. Very shiny guitars are the 'new' relics..... (You can always rely on a fat, balding bloke like me for fashion advice!)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    axisus said:
    If its not nitro it won't wear, we'll not in an interesting way. If it were mine I'd do a relic job, but I've done it before and liked the result. You'd need to strip the finish and use nitro though.
    It is nitro - it's a Gibson.

Usually stopping them relic'ing themselves on stands and random items of clothing is the problem...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I got John to refin the top on my 93 Pre Historic. Used a nitro mix with v little plasticiser in. Checked like a good un all by itself.

I like relics (if done well) but not the razor checking method.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Ever Gibson I have ever owned has always aged really quickly anyway.

Zero point in doing a relic job, it'll age if you play and gig it.
  • Any thoughts?
    "Just don't do it." (© Noke)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16913
    problem with relicing this particular guitar is that it would always be compared to Neil Young's.  but it will never be that close to 'old black' with the wrong sized pickups 

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5096
    edited September 2013
    Just tow it behind your car for a mile or so, whack it with a greasy old bike chain a few times, then finish it off with a hammer and rub in some filth. Then bin it and get another guitar... :-S
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom