DIY valve amp?

What's Hot
LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
Hi folks My Dad and I are going to build a Valve Amp. We want to start with something simple and then try a slightly more difficult one. I've been looking at Ampmaker but are there any other alternatives we should check out? Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There are a few places selling various Tweed or Plexi style kits (Modulus Amplification, Tube Amp Doctor and Vyse Engineering for instance), but for your first attempt I don't think you can beat an Ampmaker kit. The instructions are excellent and Barry is very helpful if you run into a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    There are a few places selling various Tweed or Plexi style kits (Modulus Amplification, Tube Amp Doctor and Vyse Engineering for instance), but for your first attempt I don't think you can beat an Ampmaker kit. The instructions are excellent and Barry is very helpful if you run into a problem.
    +1. For a first timer good instructions are a must and Ampmaker has great instruction!
  • Can't recommend ampmaker highly enough for a first built. Barry's customer service is second to none. I phoned him for some info and he gave me so much time to explain everything and he even posted me some various alternative capacitor values to try for various tonal mods, free of charge well after i'd purchased the amp!!!!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I concur with the above.

The Ampmaker instructions are really well written, and customer service is great.

You can download the instructions from the Ampmaker website, so you can have a look before you buy.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Having met Barry/Ampmaker in a different context, I confirm he is a thoroughly nice chap that is knowledgeable and passionate about valve amplifiers. I've not made one of his kits as I have no space/need but he would be my first call if that situation ever changed.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    +1 For Ampmaker...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Yup. I built an Ampmaker SE5. Cracking little amp and superb instructions
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 231
    Just to note I have used Barry (Ampmaker) several times; top notch, personal service and very good value as well. I won't use anyone else if I can help it.
  • DONE. Order placed for a N5X British Overdrive.  Going to be building it over Christmas!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I look forward to detailed accounts of your experience! Something I've been thinking about doing for ages, but to be honest I've been talking about putting new strings on my baritone for weeks, heaven't even got round to that yet, an amp kit would sit around for years!