Dilemma Solved & NGDish

What's Hot
Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 498
edited September 19 in Guitar
Right folks, so I bought a really lovely 2014 r9. I thought it was a bargain after pouncing on a big reduction. I’d estimate it was 20-30% under value which is realistically my limit so if not this one, I’d stick my my epiphone .
However post purchase it’s clear why it was reduced. No CoA / case candy and also a pretty ugly blemish on the underside of the neck.
I’ve mailed Gibson and the guitar is definitely legit so I don’t care about the CoA but clearly it matters to most buyers should I need to sell. I am a bit miffed about the blemish but also know that because of where it is it couldn’t really be more out of sight. 
On the plus side I think the guitar is a great one and having by tried a few over the years I just want this to be the keeper and solve all my Les Paul GAS. Love the flame and the bourbon burst, it resonates like hell and is only 8.1lbs. So very rare imho and exactly what I want.
Seller has offered a return but ultimately, I’m unlikely to find one that nails my key preferences as well for anywhere near the price I paid (which as above is my limit).
Am I just disgruntled that a bargain was not a bargain and the seller pulled one over me by not disclosing? That’s not a reason to lose a guitar is it unless I was ripped off which given the bargain nature it’s hard to say I really was. I think it would be similarly priced if disclosed. Is this just temporary feeling deflated like when you ding a new guitar but after a while just get over it? Is this blemish ‘character’? Could I remove the blemish? Perhaps but I tried wiping and I suspect the seller may have tried themselves without success.

What would you do?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I think the simple question is "Would you have bought it for that price if you had known about the condition?"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    I'm a right old fusspot but if the price was a real bargain even I would overlook the marks.

Beautiful guitar, 8.1lbs at a  bargain price?  And you are talking about the possibility of selling after you've just bought it?  :s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey. You got at 59 Ri. Something you couldn't afford. But you got one. Who cares about a certificate, etc. In order to get there it was always going to be an odd deal. Otherwise you would be perm priced out. 
    So congrats !! Good one.
    Now consider this: save up a few more quid and then speak to Yuuki at PlayerGradeVintage about a refin. It will open up the guitar even more, tonally, and you will never look back.
    Enjoy the journey bro x
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 498
    Haha I know I know but it’s not impossible I may have to sell it right. So should that time come I don’t want to take a bath. Not a big deal really, I’m more miffed about buying something with such things not disclosed.

@monquixote yes that’s the question. Like Neil I’m usually a fusspot so this situation has challenged that somewhat. The price is prob still fairly good I expect so I think I need to grow to love it as it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks pinstripe. I’m happy with the finish - colour - as is tbh but am aware of the plasticiser vs hard traditional nitro but as I mostly play through digital nowadays I’m not sure its worth it. I expect this spot could be treated maybe
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    Keep it, without any question at all.

The finish mark won’t come out, but it’s where you don’t really see it. The rest of it is well above average, including the top and the weight. (Or technically well below average in that respect!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    That looks like, and sounds like a fantastic guitar. I would also be slightly annoyed about the missing documents, and quite annoyed with the seller about not disclosing the blemish, but… the blemish seems like it would be an easy fix to a good guitar repairer.
  • That's a gorgeous guitar.
    Thing is, if the seller had disclosed the blemish etc and kept the price as it was, would you have moved on immediately? Or would you still have been tempted by the price? 
    What would you have done differently is what I'm asking I suppose. 
  • Looks a million bucks - I would keep...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    See if the seller had disclosed it I probably would have moved on due to aforementioned fusspot nature. He also didn’t state that it was 8.1lbs either until I asked him! Laziest ad tbh.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    edited September 17
    Beautiful guitar, i don’t think the marks detracts from that really. 
    I’d try not to let him not disclosing ruin the guitar for you, certainly not good but he has offered a return so obviously not a total dick 

edited September 17
    No he seems a nice bloke aside from this little ‘oversight’ which does rather undermine trustworthiness doesn’t it. I dunno. Having sold guitars a lot I’m always careful when I list something so I can’t believe it wasn’t noticed nor accidentally omitted. Should have done better 
  • Lovely looking guitar, that mark wouldn't bother me, especially if it meant it was a far cheaper price. Just think of it as a little character, kinda like a birthmark.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    Fifty9 said:

Should have done better 
    He should, but treat it as his loss and your gain - even if you perhaps wouldn’t have gone for it at that price if you’d known, you also wouldn’t have known what a great guitar it is without having played it. Take it as an opportunity - the chances of finding another one that good at *any* price are not high.

I really have never seen another one that’s definitely better - it even has a nicely shallow neck angle (you can tell by the height of the bridge and the pickup relative to the surround - I know some people don’t think this matters).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks guys for the comments. Reaffirmed where I was landing with this. I’m keeping it and will treat it as character and maybe one day look into sorting it out if I can be arsed.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Hopefully not a stupid question - If you’ve mailed Gibson and they’ll telling you the guitar is legit then would they supply a duplicate CoA? I suspect not since it means there’d potentially be two CoAs floating around for the same instrument. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 892
    edited September 17
    Fifty9 said:
    Thanks guys for the comments. Reaffirmed where I was landing with this. I’m keeping it and will treat it as character and maybe one day look into sorting it out if I can be arsed.
    I suspect the blemish will bother you less as time goes by. In a couple of years you won’t even think about it. I have a 335 which I got in ‘07 which actually has faint pencil marks in one place under the cherry finish - I’m actually quite fond of that ‘feature’ now! 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    I'm not sure it would be a real Gibson if it didn't have a blemish.  Yes that's a crass thing to say, but from the guitars I've viewed it seems to be all too common. 

Keep it, In all important respects it looks like a lovely guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    8lb Les Paul? I take the blemish for a 30% discount. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3692
    Isn't poor quality control a Gibson feature at this point? Anyway, I'd send a Harley Benton back if it had that, let alone an expensive guitar.