Dilemma Solved & NGDish

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    Fk me. Play the thing. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm more of a "Les Paul w/ scratchplate" kind of guy but the guys above are right.  No need to hide any of that flame top  behind anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited September 20
    fretfinder said:
    Ignore the misguided ones and leave the pickguard/scratchplate on. As well as looking better, the clue is in the name.  

Also, I don’t know if you’re aware of the book Beauty Of The Burst and associated poster? The latter shows 84 original* Bursts and only one of them has the pickguard removed, which puts the debate to bed imho.   

And yet the thing that stands out most in that pic is not 84 beautiful guitars, but 83 cheap ugly plastic paper darts…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    edited September 20
    Fifty9 said:
    Captured precisely why I was put out initially. Exactly that. Having slept on it and taken this forum’s wise counsel it’s clear that finding anything this close to ‘the one’ can’t be let slip due to a bellend seller. The model, looks, weight, playability and sound are all what I’m after. And I wasn’t ripped off financially so it’s totally fine really.
    Yeah. It's definitely not cool, and I'm always a little sceptical when people say it's not worth worrying about. It's always interesting to see how they react if it happens to them. You don't have to bite your nose off to spite your face and miss the great deal or great guitar, but you can still be not best pleased that it happened.

The other thing is, you said you weren't ripped off- in at least one of mine that I remember, I *wasn't*, but I *could have been*. At least one was an Ebay auction (but for a new bass, and from a music shop, just to be clear), and I put my maximum bid in assuming everything came with it that was supposed to. Luckily I wasn't bid up to where it wouldn't have been a good deal anyway, but I absolutely could have been (and the people bidding it up would also presumably have been bidding assuming everything came with it that was supposed to). My maximum amount was definitely getting on for what I would have considered "not that great of a deal, considering"...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    @ICBM mentioned curly cables

This vid shows how that can look

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeoLDsEw/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    ICBM said:
    fretfinder said:
    Ignore the misguided ones and leave the pickguard/scratchplate on. As well as looking better, the clue is in the name.  

Also, I don’t know if you’re aware of the book Beauty Of The Burst and associated poster? The latter shows 84 original* Bursts and only one of them has the pickguard removed, which puts the debate to bed imho.   

And yet the thing that stands out most in that pic is not 84 beautiful guitars, but 83 cheap ugly plastic paper darts…
    Should've gone to Specsavers…
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    Much ado about nothing imo. 

Ask Gibson if they’ll send you a replacement COA. An ask doesn’t cost anything. 

Play the guitar, enjoy the guitar, don’t sweat a blemish. 

I dropped a wah pedal on the top of my old LP Custom. Took the paint and finish off. Who cares. It’s an instrument. Most actual players (even when buying) don’t give a shit about that kind of stuff. 

If the same happened to my R8, I wouldn’t sweat it at all. It’s a Les Paul. They’re fucking cool. 

Also. Scratch plate ON. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom