BBC Ultimate British group

What's Hot

Comments

• Tannin said:
    Cols said:
    Few funny ones there.  I’m not sure you can call The Police a British band, Stewart Copeland’s an American.  Same goes for Fleetwood Mac, unless you’re going to specify Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac.
    However there is one inclusion so unexpected that it is hilariously funny - the Bee Gees. Yep, they were born in England, but  they were very much an Australian band for the first half of their long career, then moved to the US and became very much an American band. 
    Not sure it is all that funny. The three oldest brothers are undoubtedly British. The family emigrated to Australia in 1958 (Barry Gibb was about 12 at the time) and the brothers returned to the UK in 1967. Though formed in Australia, it's hardly a stretch to consider the band British.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah I think the whole Copeland family lived here during part of Stewarts teenage years, at least that's what I recall from his Rockenteurs interview.
    Three years during his late teenage phase - his family seems to have quite nomadic, also living overseas in Cairo and Beirut.  
    Tannin said:
    Cols said:
    Few funny ones there.  I’m not sure you can call The Police a British band, Stewart Copeland’s an American.  Same goes for Fleetwood Mac, unless you’re going to specify Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac.
    Nonsense. They are both plenty "British enough" to pass muster. 

However there is one inclusion so unexpected that it is hilariously funny - the Bee Gees. Yep, they were born in England, but  they were very much an Australian band for the first half of their long career, then moved to the US and became very much an American band. 

Still, where do you draw a line? Put it this way, it would never, ever have occurred to me to call the Bee Gees "British", and it has never, ever occurred to me to call Fleetwood Mac and the Police anything else.
    I’m not sure what ‘British enough’ means.  If we’ll argue for ‘majority of the members were English, formed in London’ - can I have the Jimi Hendrix Experience?

Fleetwood Mac - at least the lineup that the average person in the street will think of when you mention the name - is most certainly a transatlantic band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Cols said:
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah I think the whole Copeland family lived here during part of Stewarts teenage years, at least that's what I recall from his Rockenteurs interview.
    Three years during his late teenage phase - his family seems to have quite nomadic, also living overseas in Cairo and Beirut.
    Wherever the CIA needed his dad...

idiotwindow said:

He might be but the band was formed in London. Virtually all of the songs are written by Sting. I think Copeland even went to school in England. The Police are a British band.
    I would accept the Police. But I don't think Fleetwood Mac - the version most people know from the 70s onwards - are a British band, they're British-American. Yes, three out of five members were British, but the main songwriters and frontman/woman were Buckingham and Nicks, and the band was always based in the US.

Anyway, whoever is or isn't included the poll is a bit daft - it would be much better to pick the top five that *aren't* the Beatles and the Stones, since if they're not the top two then people have no clue about music history.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2845
    What an absolutely uninspiring and unimpressive short list. Zero interest. 

Did you see the panel though? 
  • FelixVFelixV Frets: 23
    Where’s Black Sabbath! 
  • I’m assuming with no Sabbath or Maiden there is definitely no Priest.

• Bee Gees ?  Thought they were Aussie ! 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    edited September 18
    Bee Gees ?  Thought they were Aussie ! 
    Born on the Isle of Man then the family emigrated I think.

By the same logic you could argue AC/DC might be included.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    The Faces - not only by birth but in attitude as well

• TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    StefB said:
    Bee Gees ?  Thought they were Aussie ! 
    Born on the Isle of Man then the family emigrated I think.

By the same logic you could argue AC/DC might be included.
    Why not the Skyhooks? They are usually known as the most gloriously Australian of all Australian bands - but a small child named Red Symonds happened to be on the same migrant ship as the future Bee Gees.

Decades later, Red would play lead guitar on Australia's two biggest-selling albums of all time.Not just that, they were albums written by Australians, about Australia, in an entirely home-grown style of music. Before the 'hooks, Australian music was a shallow copy of American or English music. After the 'hooks, it was its own thing. But on the above logic you could claim that they were a British band!
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8684
    No Sex Pistols?
  • ewalewal Frets: 2845
    It's Radio 2 - they're still banned.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 960
    On quiet reflection I decided to keep to what I really know and not overthink it.

Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Fleetwood Mac
    Led Zeppelin 
    The Who

Job done.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    edited September 20 tFB Trader
    I've heard about this via R2 - I've not looked on-line as to who is in and who isn't - Appreciate it will create a buzz and R2 will have a day soon. committed to the top 50 count down

As a grumpy old git, I may well be in the minority, but I don't see vocals acts as a group - All Saints, Bananarama , Take That etc - I'm not saying they are crap - I'm not saying that don't have their place in music - Just for me a group is a band 

A big part of me says The Beatles or The Stones should win, based on their status as pioneers - You could argue The Stones should edge The Beatles as they are still working today - So they win the longevity award - But based on the awareness of what is happening today, then I suspect Oasis or Coldplay will win 

I'm probably not bothered either way 

• What an absolutely uninspiring and unimpressive short list. Zero interest. 

Don't beat around the bush uncle - tell us what you really think
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16314
    edited September 19
    Actually quite a few acts there that I am torn between. I am pleasantly surprised.

Bananarama, though?!

1st real pish band ever.....unison singing, no harmonies with folk picked exclusively for looks....no redeeming features tae speak of, so don't even try....absolute fuckin' rubbish
    tae be or not tae be
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    It is surprisingly terrible. 
    I expected some recent bands that I didn’t really know but not even that. 
    Very little representation of black British music (probably find one group and a handful of black musicians represented in that list) despite amazing black British pop, reggae, soul, funk, everything 2 Tone (I like Madness but it was still 7 white blokes),etc. 
    Where Wham! a group? I’m struggling with having The Pet Shop Boys and other duos in this list. 
    Musically the British gave the world the sixties invasion stuff and heavy metal. No Sabbath, Maiden - massive, massive bands that are what Britain’s known for. 
    But music experts of the quality of Vernon Kay, Scott Mills, Sara Cox…oh, music selected by some of the worst presenters in R2 history.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Muse...Wings...
    Madness :)
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1621
    The Dagenham Girl Pipers!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    No Dire Straits, no Lizzy, no Quo.  What kind of a list is that?