PRS core necks

What's Hot
tabanotabano Frets: 113
So as I am in the market for a PRS, I would really appreciate if those of you who have played the current patterns thin and the old wide thin  neck shape could tell me what the differences are? on paper the pattern thin has a tad more meat front to back I remember to have read,, but what about the shoulders?
my favourite is the pattern regular and it felt quite different to the wide thin..
Tina’s in advance!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PALPAL Frets: 601
    I wouldn't rely on anyone's idea of what a guitar neck feels like. This goes back to the old thing about " I have small hands "
      or " I have hands like a bunch of bananas " so guitar necks will feel different from one person to another.
      I have played and owned many PRS guitars ( They were all good ) but have now settled on a core DGT Mahogany standard
      it has a great neck. Best thing to do is go to a store that has PRS guitars and try a few out I'm sure you will find a guitar that 
      will suit you. Good luck.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tabanotabano Frets: 113
    edited September 21
    Thanks, yes I will be going to check some out this coming week, 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    edited September 21 tFB Trader
    The regular (sometimes called Standard) neck has a tad slimmer nut width than the old wide/thin and new pattern thin profiles - Not much in it but noticeable - 1 21/32"   v 1 11/16" - The latter is your traditional Gibson-esq territory - The Regular nut width is moving closer to a traditional Fender-esq nut width - Only 1/32" difference 

Pattern Regular

1 21/32"  nut width

-- 27/32"  1st fret depth --

59/64"  12th fret depth

Pattern Thin

1 11/16"  nut width

-- 53/64" 1st fret depth --

57/64" 12th fret depth

But not much difference on the depth - Differences are probably to subtle to sum up with a few chosen adjectives so playing both would help you far more 

Generally the Custom 24 favours the above two neck profile options - No hard fast rule that is gospel - but i found many 'Fender' based players favoured the Standard/Regular profile and many 'Ibanez speed merchants' favoured the Regular/thin - But as I said, trying them out will best answer your question 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The regular (sometimes called Standard) neck has a tad slimmer nut width than the old wide/thin and new pattern thin profiles - Not much in it but noticeable - 1 21/32"   v 1 11/16" - The latter is your traditional Gibson-esq territory - The Regular nut width is moving closer to a traditional Fender-esq nut width - Only 1/32" difference 

Pattern Regular

1 21/32"  nut width

-- 27/32"  1st fret depth --

59/64"  12th fret depth

Pattern Thin

1 11/16"  nut width

-- 53/64" 1st fret depth --

57/64" 12th fret depth

But not much difference on the depth - Differences are probably to subtle to sum up with a few chosen adjectives so playing both would help you far more 

Generally the Custom 24 favours the above two neck profile options - No hard fast rule that is gospel - but i found many 'Fender' based players favoured the Standard/Regular profile and many 'Ibanez speed merchants' favoured the Regular/thin - But as I said, trying them out will best answer your question 
    Many thanks for the detailed measurements 
    yes I prefer the pattern regular too,
    my confusion is mainly between the pattern thin and the wide thin, ORS currently only offers the pattern thin profile on CU 24,
    I have I’ll be buying used most likely anyway,

• There’s very little difference between the old names and new names in my experience, I’m not quite sure why they bothered renaming them at all really!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    One of the best things about PRS is that the neck profiles are properly accurate and consistent - ie if you play one you like, another one with the same profile will be very close to the same. Not 100%, but much closer than other manufacturers in my experience. I’ve owned four PRSs with the old ‘Wide Fat’ (which is neither, really) and they were all as close as I can tell the same, with only a very subtle variation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    One of the best things about PRS is that the neck profiles are properly accurate and consistent - ie if you play one you like, another one with the same profile will be very close to the same. Not 100%, but much closer than other manufacturers in my experience. I’ve owned four PRSs with the old ‘Wide Fat’ (which is neither, really) and they were all as close as I can tell the same, with only a very subtle variation.
    Thanks ICMB,
    this is very good to know!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    I pretty much agree with ICBM, they are more consistent than other manufacturers - certainly much more so than Gibson - but I can still feel the differences between my theoretically identical PRS necks. That said, I never pick up a PRS and think oh god, I hate this neck, the variations are within the bounds of acceptability.

The pattern thin and wide thin are the profiles I'm least familiar with, but on paper there's very little difference.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    There’s very little difference between the old names and new names in my experience, I’m not quite sure why they bothered renaming them at all really!
    Agree on both parts
    Thanks for the link!
    Very detailed explanation