Straight neck?

What's Hot
StrumitStrumit Frets: 50
edited September 21 in Making & Modding
On checking for playability on a "Stratalike" after a string change, I found a bit of fret buzz on the first two or three frets.  The "usual" checks were fine, so I checked the truss rod and eased it back 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and the buzz was gone.  The strange thing is that the truss rod has no tension on it now ie. the neck is perfect without it (it isn't broke by the way).  The guitar plays and sounds great.  Should I worry?  ( I always do when things go too well! )
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited September 21
    See how the relief is in a week's time. If things remain the same, leave well alone.

The business of fret rattle in the lowest three or four frets is what you would expect if a guitar set up for tens were restrung with nines without any adjustments being made.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    If the truss rod is completely loose, it’s best to put a tiny amount of tension on it - not enough to change the relief - to stop it rattling.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 50
    ICBM said:
    If the truss rod is completely loose, it’s best to put a tiny amount of tension on it - not enough to change the relief - to stop it rattling.

That is what I did, so glad that someone else would do the same.  Thank you.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    edited September 21
    Over the years I've found that when bolt-on maple necks have the truss rod loosened off completely and are absolutely straight without any string tension, in most cases they will pull up into the perfect amount of relief under normal string tension of 9s or 10s in standard tuning without truss rod adjustment.  It's then just a case of turning the adjuster so it engages but exerts no pressure/tension to (a) [as ICBM stated] stop the adjuster and/or rod from rattling, and (b) to prevent any further up-bowing in the future if it was then left for a long while with no restraint and only the wood bearing the string tension. Oddly enough I have become convinced that having the truss rod adjuster nipped up rather than just left loose improves the sound of the guitar.  If this isn't just a figment of my imagination, it's probably due to increased vibration transfer down the neck which to me feels stiffer with the truss rod adjuster engaged but not tightened. Although far from scientifically scrutinised, my observations and experience so far of roasted/baked/toasted/caramelised maple necks is that they seem to be stiffer and flex less under string tension than their untreated "white" maple counterparts, but (maybe just my imagination again) don't seem to sustain quite as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    edited September 21
    BillDL said:

Oddly enough I have become convinced that having the truss rod adjuster nipped up rather than just left loose improves the sound of the guitar.  If this isn't just a figment of my imagination, it's probably due to increased vibration transfer down the neck which to me feels stiffer with the truss rod adjuster engaged but not tightened.
    I nearly mentioned that too - I probably should have done . In my experience you’re entirely right.

BillDL said:

Although far from scientifically scrutinised, my observations and experience so far of roasted/baked/toasted/caramelised maple necks is that they seem to be stiffer and flex less under string tension than their untreated "white" maple counterparts, but (maybe just my imagination again) don't seem to sustain quite as well.
    I loathe roasted maple. It has the very odd characteristic of being soft, brittle, weak and stiff in the wrong way, all at the same time. The quickest way to ruin a perfectly good strong piece of maple… and it’s nothing like real old maple (which it’s purporting to emulate) at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 50
    Great comments folks.  "Tuning" guitars isn't just twiddling the knobs!  I love the combinations of woods, metals and plastics, all different, with different properties, yet all eventually (hopefully) coming together to produce the wonderful phenomenon of music.  Add electronics into the mix and "Oh boy!  What a party!"  I feel a song coming on! :)
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    I loathe roasted maple. It has the very odd characteristic of being soft, brittle, weak and stiff in the wrong way, all at the same time. The quickest way to ruin a perfectly good strong piece of maple… and it’s nothing like real old maple (which it’s purporting to emulate) at all.
    Totally agree.   Of all the ones Ive played natural / aged maple sounds better then roasted.   If you want a “roasted” look then just have it shellaced or nitro tinted over natural maple.   Its popularity is just a symptom of the arcane must be more like vintage-like and therefore superior.  Its just not in reality.    Also agree about the truss rod under the very slightest tension improves the playing response of the neck. Certainly feels that way to me.   
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    ICBM said:
    BillDL said:

Oddly enough I have become convinced that having the truss rod adjuster nipped up rather than just left loose improves the sound of the guitar.  If this isn't just a figment of my imagination, it's probably due to increased vibration transfer down the neck which to me feels stiffer with the truss rod adjuster engaged but not tightened.
    I nearly mentioned that too - I probably should have done . In my experience you’re entirely right.
    Agree
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.