Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Not sure what year that is...but i have one from 1974...hands down the best amp i have heard, played and luckily own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aye very nice sounding amp
    Old Is Gold
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks chaps - not sure whether I can justify another amp when I'm looking for a guitar but I'm very tempted... any idea what they are worth?
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited November 2014
    They don't seem to go for a lot.
    There's an '81 800 bass one that's been for sale on ebay for months at 590, I bought the guys 2204 off him so it's probably a good one. I'd say more like 400, doesn't look as if it's been stored well with the rust!
    I might come in with you on the cab if you want to cut down the cost?
    @ICBM might have a wealth of knowledge on these and price...?
    It's a chap local to me and he wants £300 for the head and £200 for the cab.     I'd only be buying as it looked a bit of a bargain rather than something I would gig so I was more curious to check it out really - I should save my cash towards a guitar or something I will use if I'm being sensible.
    wow...£300 seems like a bargain to me...maybe I'm way out on pricing, but for reference my one was about 750...

and 200 for the cab is also a great price, those speakers are really nice. 

i would hit that...but thats me...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    edited November 2014
    That looks great and in very original condition. I wouldn't worry too much about the rust on the chassis - but do worry about the pull-out voltage and impedance selectors, they're notorious for failing and blowing transformers. Get them hardwired if you're intending to play the amp at any volume. I normally simply connect one speaker jack to the 8-ohm tap and one to the 16, which gives enough flexibility usually.

It looks like it has the original Mullard power valves too. They're actually less likely to need replacing than the filter caps, which might. (Probably should, but I would be inclined to Variac it up and see if they're ok first, unless there's already physical leakage.) Preamp valves will probably be RFTs.

It's a bargain at £300, if it just needs a cap job and the selectors fixed. The cab is cheap at £200 as well if all the speakers are OK - they are likely to be, 65s are from the first period where Celestion used modern glues and they don't tend to fall apart as much as the older ones.

Looks like about a '78 or '79 I think, since it has the older selectors but the modern IEC power socket. The cab is slightly more recent, probably '82-'83 I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I guess it can only go up in value and can sit used for recording etc until I have a use for it.   Very tempted now...  I might send him a cheeky offer.
    John_P said:
    I guess it can only go up in value and can sit used for recording etc until I have a use for it.   Very tempted now...  I might send him a cheeky offer.
    do it!!!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I actually think the super bass has a better range of tones than the JTM45
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Same here. I think the main reason they're not more popular is that people are scared of the 100W rating - it's true that they are *very* loud (particularly as they put out well over 100W even clean, let alone cranked), and they need a cab capable of taking that kind of power, which almost always means something fairly efficient.

But there are ways of reducing the volume - you can pull two power valves to give "only" 50W, you can use an attenuator (best if you also pull the valves, since otherwise you're stressing the amp and the attenuator more than necessary) and they take pedals extremely well.

Even if you don't want to do any of that, they're worth using for possibly the fullest, richest clean tone of any amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Even if you don't want to do any of that, they're worth using for possibly the fullest, richest clean tone of any amp.

This!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If you don't buy it pass me his details ;). Bargain!
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited November 2014
    ICBM said:
     you can pull two power valves to give "only" 50W, you can use an attenuator (best if you also pull the valves, since otherwise you're stressing the amp and the attenuator more than necessary)
    You'd need to rebias though wouldn't you? oh and half spk ohm output.

I agree on the creamy cleans, a great combo with a strat. In fact didn't Guitarist mag do a feature with dvd thing showing the all time best vintage tones? I remember seeing something like a 71 superbass?
    Found it... 2.30 start

ICBM said:
     you can pull two power valves to give "only" 50W, you can use an attenuator (best if you also pull the valves, since otherwise you're stressing the amp and the attenuator more than necessary)
    You'd need to rebias though wouldn't you? oh and half spk ohm output.
    Just reset the impedance, no need to rebias.

I thought I was buying it tonight but no more replies from the chap selling it.   Interesting discussion but it's looking like there won't be a NAD post. 
    Perhaps he's seen this thread and realises it was much too cheap...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Buy it. I have one that sounds killer.

If you are unsure, listen to Free...
  • I bought mine about 18 months ago - ICBM helped out with a suitable cab deal via sunny Glasgow and a thd hot plate. Its actually a newer example - the very last made before the redesign towards the less than popular JCM models (they're the ones that seem to hang around on ebay). I actually paid £500 - but got a Marshall 2x12 and a couple of Boss pedals thrown in all of which i sold on quickly to bring my final price down to about £250. Then had it serviced - biased / capped / tubed etc.

It gets more use than my Mesa rectifier or Marshall DSL - great cleans and an outstanding pedal platform. 

If the guy is dithering on selling as its undervalued - buy both as an incentive to him and sell on the cab if not needed.