Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amp Recommendations?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    I like most Mesa amps, and I'm usually capable of dialing in almost anything to sound at least OK, but I really couldn't get on with the Nomad. I actually went to buy a 55 when they first came out, and after a couple of hours in the shop I came away with an ex-demo Dual Caliber DC-5 - the model it replaced - instead, despite having wanted three channels… the Nomad sounded oddly compressed and was ridiculously touchy for settings, I just couldn't get happy with it. The DC just sounded far better, much more open and dynamic, and with the Graphic EQ used as a solo boost I could get it close enough to three channels.

Later I tried a Nomad 45 and hated that even more, especially the Extreme mode - horribly shouty and spiky, which is odd since it works by disconnecting the NFB, which is the same thing that makes Modern High-Gain sound so massive and open on the Dual Rectifiers. But probably really what it does is exaggerate the normal character of the amp… so good on the Rectifier and bad on the Nomad!

The only one I could get on with at all was the Nomad 100 which has the Graphic EQ. Set to permanently on.

They also did have known build quality problems, not just with the pots although those were the most common.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, that's the Nomad discussions I've read elsewhere nicely summed up :D

ICBM- would the DC series amps be better suited to what I'm after? Glassy cleans with a bit of grit if needed and a smooth, sustaining but not too "metal" lead tone?

The biggest problem with Mesa amps is that they're relatively rare (I think I've played one, ever, which I absolutely loved, but that was as a teenager with very different tastes, used to a Squier Strat and a horrible little Hohner practice amp), so hard for me to try out without driving all over creation tyre-kicking, which I'm loathe to do. I like the idea of them but I'm well aware of the love-hate relationship players seem to have with them...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

ICBM- would the DC series amps be better suited to what I'm after? Glassy cleans with a bit of grit if needed and a smooth, sustaining but not too "metal" lead tone?

Not sure. I wouldn't say the DC cleans were that 'glassy' - bold and clear, but quite dark - and the dirty tone is gritty and aggressive rather than smooth and sustaining - it isn't a metal tone, more of a grunge/alt-rock type of sound. (Which is why I liked it.) It's a very dark and focused sound overall. Even though I loved it and used it as my only gigging amp for seven years I eventually moved away from that "90s" type of voicing and went to the Trem-o-verb, which is much more complex-sounding and actually has less gain, despite the reputation of the Rectifiers for being very high-gain.

From your description I would say the F Series is closer to what you want sound-wise, although these also have some of the build problems of the Nomads. An Express might be the best of the various different worlds...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited November 2014
    I hated the Nomad 55 sound. Never heard a 100 in the flesh.

Edit: Not trying to punt mine as it's a 4x10 so not a single journey load-in.

I'd be interested to know of the build quality issues @ICBM. Feel free to pm me if you can be bothered. < /hijack>
    Probably worth just mentioning - it was mostly screen resistors and valve sockets, from what I remember. I haven't actually seen one for a while so it's likely it only applied to earlier examples. The pots and the footswitching were the main ones.

• Thank you. I'll keep a weather eye on them.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284

You've just described an Express. Don't know about the current '+' line (which have a few more bells and whistles than the original) but my 5:25 is also pretty close to "plug and go" - it sees regular use as a "House" amp at a local jam night and I don't think anyone's ever complained that they couldn't dial in something useable on the spot.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...