Strange looking EL34s

FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
Anyone know what these are? I've never seen EL34s with pointy-top bottles before.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Like it says in the listing - they're EIs, made in Yugoslavia. (Serbia now.) No longer produced.

Re-branding of valves from Eastern Europe was very common in the 70s and 80s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I see. I was aware of the rebranded RFTs but have never seen these. How do they compare to an RFT?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Not sure, it's so long since I've ever heard them (in fact I'm not completely sure I have!) that I don't really know. Their EL84s and preamp valves are good though, so there's a pretty good chance these are too. Some of the designs appear to be roughly Telefunken copies, although that's no real indicator of performance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    ICBM said:
    Not sure, it's so long since I've ever heard them (in fact I'm not completely sure I have!) that I don't really know. Their EL84s and preamp valves are good though, so there's a pretty good chance these are too. Some of the designs appear to be roughly Telefunken copies, although that's no real indicator of performance.
    No coincidence that they resemble Telefunken.  Ei bought a lot of Telefunken's equipment, designs etc. when they got out of valve production in the '70's.  That doesn't mean to say that Ei manufactured to Telefunken quality, it appears they didn't principally because they used inferior materials, plate coatings etc.  I've got a pair of good condition Ei's which I've tried in my JMP 50W,  They sounded very good, really couldn't call it compared to RFT's or Hungarian Tungsrams.