0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    axef...

d8m said:
     ≤ £200

discuss :)

... oooooohhh

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Used: Something by TC electronic or a Line6 m9

New: Zoom G3 gets a lot of love so it seems
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Under £200?? None of them. They're all crap. £200-400? They're all a bit better, but still mostly crap. £400-1000? They're all crap too.

The Boss GT-100 is the best of the lot of them for pure workflow imho.
    Drew_fx said:
    Under £200?? None of them. They're all crap. £200-400? They're all a bit better, but still mostly crap. £400-1000? They're all crap too.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    joeyowen said:
    Drew_fx said:

lol. I don't know what this means.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @d8m .. do you need amp modelling or just effects? What sort of effects do you want/need? Do you gig or is this for home use? Do you want to record by plugging the unit into a PC/Mac or play in front of an amp or both? Does your amp have an effects loop?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    joeyowen said:
    Drew_fx said:

lol. I don't know what this means.
    An episode of South Park where Stan is getting older and thinks everything is shit haha

best use of Landslide by Fleetwood Mac on TV
  • I thought you were saying the sub £200 multi fx units were shiny turds, but still ultimately a turd.

Id vote Zoom g3 for a bit of everything
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited November 2014

Boss GT-8 or 10, might be lucky n even get a 100...used of course. Bomb proof...very giggable and allow for the 4cm or to add in your own dirt boxes should you not be too keen on the GTs.

GT-8 good enough for Nuno. Think Neil Schon even used an 8 or 6 in the past to!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    The answer is Boss GT-100. 

You will have to pay slightly more than £200 though.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Yep Boss GT-100 gets my vote too. I've tried most of them and pound for pound it's by far the best IMHO. Nice sounds, relatively easy to use. For the cheapy option though I'd go for a Boss GT-8 for the same reasons mainly. It does 90% of what the GT-100 does and sounds very similiar. It can be had for around £80 or less if you get lucky.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    BOSS ME-5 - was good enough for Rory Gallagher for live work...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @longi I thought that the modelling quality in the GT8 was supposed to be no where near as good as in the GT100 in which Boss/Roland redesigned the algorithms and seriously upgraded the processing power accordingly? Thoughts?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    @longi I thought that the modelling quality in the GT8 was supposed to be no where near as good as in the GT100 in which Boss/Roland redesigned the algorithms and seriously upgraded the processing power accordingly? Thoughts?
    I haven't compared the two, but the amp modeling in the GT-100 doesn't really impress me at all.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited November 2014

Voxman said:
    The amp modelling isn't great on the GT-8 but the effects sound pretty much the same. It has the same amount of assigns, does channel switching, although I think the GT-100 is easier to dial in for 4cm. For the money it's ace. If your amp packed up during a gig and had to use the amp modelling you could. There are ways of making the amp modelling sound ok. I've always found the using the "stack" setting on modellers sounded better through an amp than using the supposed correct Boss/Line 6"front/return or Korg/Vox's Marshall/Stack setting instead of Fender/Vox compensator setting for amp use. It seems to sound just better that way. Once your ears get used to the extra midrange modellers seem to sound better to my ears.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited November 2014
    For me its the amp modelling quality that would be far more important than the effects so I wouldn't be interested in the GT8 or GT10. I need to check out the GT100 to see if the modelling has improved that much to justify buying one. It needs to be at least on a par with the Pod HD's and Zoom G5. Boss' strength is its effects but to date I've been hugely underwhelmed by its COSM amp modelling. But perhaps they've got it right on the GT100...we'll see.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I've been very happy with my Boss GT8. Got years of use out of it. I don't use any of the pre amp sounds anymore as I like my Blackstar amp sound but all the modulations are fine.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Boss Me70 for sheer vfm stakes
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Might be an idea to distinguish between a pure MFX unit (with no amp modelling) and a Modelling MFX unit, as they are quite different beasts - for the latter, the amp modelling quality will usually be the priority but there are those who might still buy a modelling MFX unit and simply use the effects.    
  • I still have a GT5 kicking around cost me @ £600 quid from Musical Exchange in Brum 15 years ago. Now its worth peanuts. Multieffects are an 'easy ' solution to a number of problems - but they're inevitably going to be upgraded / improved with fancy new innovations and the resale is pretty much always limited as a result. The analogue drives / distortions etc on the GT5 soon became 'wearing' to the ear personally.  I believe Boss went back down that avenue again on newer models. The amps models were of their time and rarely sound like the real deal - i.ve had or played most of them since. I always felt they sound something akin to the recorded amp sound. On the other hand the delay / reverb and modulation effects themselves are quite useable and the unit does give a range of connectivity options incl midi functunality. For the range of included effects these units are still worth a punt on EBAY for usually less than the price of a boutique pedal.(Less than £100)