Anybody lived/worked in Canada?

What's Hot
I'm thinking Okanagan Valley, north of Washington.
I know this is a long shot!! Decent place, reasonable cost of living?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    I know someone who spent a year working there after her degree and looooovveeddd it.

Always speaks very highly of it, but it was expensive (Toronto mind)

Want me to pass on any Qs?
  • I'll send you a pm.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    I've toured British Columbia and it is absolutely amazing, I would move there tomorrow if possible.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935

Lived in BC for 8 months back in 2002. LOVED it. Really like Canadians and the country itself.

Sure it's pretty different now, plus I was just a youngster at the time having a blast.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Do it. Stunning part of the world. 
  • Don't they work as long as the Americans with next to no holiday?
    Anyway, early days... those who've been, please expand on your experience!!
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5138
    edited November 2014
    Love Canada, but then I have to say that as the other half is from Northern Ontario.

A breathtaking country with some of the friendliest and laid back people I've ever met. Pretty much true to the "politest folk in the World" stereotype. (of course there will always be exceptions to the rule, it's no Utopia)

If you're close enough to the border in Okanagan you can always pop across to the states to get lots of stuff cheaper, and marvel at the immediate culture shift literally the moment you do! And the reservations are like mini duty free zones (although it is frowned upon to buy stuff if you're not actually Native - i.e. a bit illegal but not fiercely enforced).

If you've no ties keeping you on this side of the pond and there's opportunities for you out there, go, go now! :)

*edit* It really does get quite unbelievably cold in the Winter!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My V key is broken
  • I spent a few days in Montreal, it's awesome. You cross the border and it immediately feels different, it's bizarre.

Do it tiggs!
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Spent a summer split between Seattle and Vancouver amazing places to live
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My dead grandad was from Vancouver/BC. He came here in the war then moved back there but ended up here again. I've always wanted to visit. There's too much I don't really know about him.
    My V key is broken
  • Properly love Canada. I've been to Ontario and we're planning a massive trip to BC for 2016. 

It's on the list of possible places to move next :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited November 2014
    Well I've been to-ing and fro-ing with where to work for ages. Been in Scotland... always! Almost moved to Germany/Austria a while back but timing wasn't right. Just googled British Columbia and it certainly looks amazing...! We've been waiting for house prices to come down here but it looks like we can buy a mansion over there with what we've got (I'm not joking, 4-5 bed detached houses with land which we could buy outright for the price of a 3 bed flat here)! 
  • I've lived in Canada all my life, mostly Eastern Ontario with a 16 year stint in BC.  I love it here, BC is more scenic but has fewer jobs now and is more expensive.  We get all the usual holidays and we get extreme weather from blazing hot summers to freezing snow covered tundra and we just carry on through it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• What would you say is a good salary in the Kelowna area? 

This thing just became more real - skype call today about it. I see the weather there was -11C yesterday..!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Learn to ski, get a 4WD pickup, and wear appropriate clothing ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    bahhhhhh I never asked did I, sorry dude, I'll send a message now

• No probs and thanks! :)
    I saw a story saying BC was one of the most unaffordable places to live next to Vancouver etc. 
    The work sounds ok... different! But not as good as what I do now. It's all about the location. I'm guessing it's too early days for me just now but will see.

Skiiing! No way lol..
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    edited December 2014
    I hope they're sorting the visa for you as part of the deal - last time I checked it was a 2 year wait for personal applicants. This is important because if the job doesn't materialise (or continue) you lose your right to work and the only way you can stay is to find another sponsor.

Go check out some of the expat forums for good real world stories.

Personally I think I'd be more than happy to go for it if I was happy with the job and the visa situation, and liked the outdoor life.

Bear in mind BC is very cold. My bro lives just next door in Calgary, and it was -26 last week. If you're not into skiing or boarding winters are long and harsh...if you're a skier, winters are long stretches of powder paradise :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Tom - if you don't fancy downhill skiing ice-fishing, hunting, dog-sledging, X-Country skiing or snowshoeing.  Horse riding, canyoning, wilderness trekking in the summer ...

Sounds idyllic to me !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback