Combined passive volume & expression pedal?

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 614

Does a switchable version of this exist? I'd love to have an expression pedal connected to my Pitch Fork and then, with the flick of a switch be able to use it as a regular volume pedal.

The Boss FV500L has an expression out but it looks as though you either use it as an expression or volume pedal. I don't really want to be faffing with swapping cables - just want to leave everything plugged in and choose with a switch.

Any ideas? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited November 2014

As far as I'm aware you have to use a stereo TRS cable to use  a volume pedal as an FX expression.  It's not the volume pedal that's the issue, it's the signal to/from from the device you want to expression control that you can't do with just a standard guitar cable.  I'm not aware of any combi-pedal that works with a 'flick of the switch'.

The Dunlop DVP3X is a goodie, and has separate tuner and expression inputs in addition to the standard input/output jacks, plus you can reverse the heel/toe positions, adjust treadle tightness, and set min/max levels.  A thought I had is that you might be able to connect with both cables at outset so you didn't have to plug cables in/out, but then run an A/B switching pedal that would let the signal switch between the TRS and normal input, letting you kick in either by foot control.  Otherwise, if you plugged into both the normal input and TRS input the pedal either wouldn't work or one or other function would kick in by default.  Whether the Dunlop will let you do this ie have both cables connected at the same time, I don't know.  If it was designed to cut out with both cables inserted at the same time, then an A/B splitter wouldn't help.  But definitely worth finding one in store and trying it with an A/B. 

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dvp3-volume-x

Interestingly I recently discovered that you can use a passive volume pedal as an expression pedal - I have a an old passive Carlsbro volume pedal that I'm going to try this with:

http://www.strymon.net/2011/10/10/strymon-tech-corner-3-volume-pedal-as-an-expression-pedal/

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    You can use the Boss as both an expression and a volume at the same time - use one half of the stereo for the signal while the other is the expression - the problem is that you can't separate the functions, so you will be operating both together.

What you would need to do is fit the volume side with a bypass switch - which shouldn't be too hard. The expression side wouldn't need one if you didn't want to use the volume pedal at the same time as the effect with the expression, just turn the effect off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh good question. :) I am thinking of upgrading my expression pedal but it doesnt really gets much use. If I could use it dual purpose hmmm. I'll have to re read voxman's post as I got a bit lost, although I think the short answer is no.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    ICBM;416709" said:
    You can use the Boss as both an expression and a volume at thep same time - use one half of the stereo for the signal while the other is the expression - the problem is that you can't separate the functions, so you will be operating both together.

What you would need to do is fit the volume side with a bypass switch - which shouldn't be too hard. The expression side wouldn't need one if you didn't want to use the volume pedal at the same time as the effect with the expression, just turn the effect off.
    Would my idea of an A/B switch work with the Boss to allow switching between volume and expression?

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBM said:
    You can use the Boss as both an expression and a volume at the same time - use one half of the stereo for the signal while the other is the expression - the problem is that you can't separate the functions, so you will be operating both together.

I quite like the idea that you could use it as one or the other or both at the same time. Probably not something you would do a lot but being able to increase volume and an effect parameter at the same time might be neat for occasional use without going down the multi fx or midi route.
    Sorry, I couldn't work out exactly what you were asking and I'm not familiar with the Dunlop pedal, but - if it's a mono pedal, probably not. It could technically be done but the switching would be very complex and a plain A/B box definitely won't do it.

The advantage of the Boss is that it's a stereo pedal so the expression and volume functions (if you're using it in mono) are already separate - you just have to find some way of switching off the volume function when you want to use it as an expression pedal. If you didn't want to mod the pedal then a loop-switcher would certainly do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The Rocktron Hex has separate outs for volume or expression. No switch though. Assuming using one doesn't defeat the other one then using a bypass looper you could put the...probably just buy two pedals :(
    It was the Boss I meant with the A/B switching.
    Sorry, that was me not being clear - no, you can't do it with an A/B switcher with any volume pedal. You need something more complicated, because there is more than one switching operation - you need to take the volume pedal out of the signal path. The simplest method is a passive bypass looper for the volume pedal side, if you don't want to mod the pedal.

If you also want to have the effect pedal with the expression control turned on at any time you're using the volume pedal (even if you're not using the expression function) then it's more complex still, but it could still be done by modding the pedal.

• The alesis F2 is the only one I've spotted that says it can run expression and volume at the same time. There is a range pot which, if I've understood it, would effectively allow you to disable the volume function but it is in an awkward place and, obviously, not just a switch.
    That seems so close and yet so far...
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 614
    EricTheWeary;417084" said:
    The alesis F2 is the only one I've spotted that says it can run expression and volume at the same time. There is a range pot which, if I've understood it, would effectively allow you to disable the volume function but it is in an awkward place and, obviously, not just a switch.
    That seems so close and yet so far...
    I stumbled across this one too but can't find it listed for sale anywhere....is it discontinued?

Ah, interesting!  But the Alesis F2 has been discontinued - its listed on their website as a legacy product. So unless you can find a store that has old stock, it looks like E-Bay or Gumtree to try & find one used. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17664
    tFB Trader
    Not quite what you want but pigtronix do a pedal which can do two expression pedal outputs at once.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited November 2014
    I'm looking at buying the dual expression pedal from these guys, however, this product might be exactly what you're after.....

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just on my phone atm but I have seen the Alesis for sale. That db one looks like it does the job, I can only hope @Beexter has deeper pockets than me ! :bz
    edited November 2014
    @hubobulous & @musteatbrain - thanks for the heads up. Certainly looks like it would do the job but as@EricTheWeary states, it's a bit spendy and my pockets aren't deep enough. At that price, I'd be better off with 2 separate pedals. Shame the Alesis is discontinued - seemed like a reasonable price and worth a shot if I can find one. I'm surprised there aren't more options - considering your're unlikely to be using two expression pedals at once, I'd have thought someone would have come up with this already....
  • Ahh was GAK where I saw the F2, the discontinued bit is in very small print. :(
    Ahh was GAK where I saw the F2, the discontinued bit is in very small print. :(
    No worries bud.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I thiiiinkkk it can be done using a boss ls2 if you have the room.  I had a diagram of it once but can't find it now.. helpful post is helpful