Harley Benton PowerPlant

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4985
Anyone any thoughts on the Harley Benton PowerPlant.

Reasonably priced but is it 'good' enough?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Don't know that one but loads of us on the Boards love the HB PP jr which is hum free.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    HB Jr version is good value

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Yeah the jr one is isolated and that one isn't.

There's a fame isolated one sold by musicstore/dv247 but i haven't tried it. It might be even better value.

But (in my limited experience anyway) Thomann's aftersales service is king when compared to Musicstore. Sending me out a replacement (twice!) of the HB JR when it went faulty (without even having to return the faulty item) versus not answering emails, and then palming me off with a credit note because it had "been too long" (which was entirely their fault (in my opinion) for not answering said emails, despite having plastered all over their website about how easy they are to contact by email for international orders etc.).

Hmmm.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I got the Fame one, and it seems good, but yeah I don't have a lot of respect/trust in music store/dv247, whereas Thomann have been consistently good in my experience.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1679
    Don't buy it. It's terrible.

I had one and it was really noisy. The actual enclosure itself emitted a loud hum.

The little one is reputed to be great and constructed very differently, but that big one is shite.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Thanks guys for the advice.  I will probably go for the Jr.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    The Jr is bloody fantastic.  Did many, many gigs with one of those on my board, and it did nothing but deliver quiet, reliable power.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • The PowerPlant Jnr is excellent value. Be aware, though, that it comes with a hard wired cable with a Euro-style plug. It's a simple matter to cut it off and wire on a UK plug (the inner live/neutral/earth cable colours are UK standard) or else you can get an adapter that fits over the Euro plug (I think Thomann sell them). There's no problem with running it on UK mains voltage as it's 'standardised' across the EU.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Thomann have recently started sending out free adaptors with mains powered items.  Oh and the PowerPlant Junior is excellent.
    :)
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6131
    Fuzzdog said:
    The Jr is bloody fantastic.  Did many, many gigs with one of those on my board, and it did nothing but deliver quiet, reliable power.
    ^ ^ THIS ^ ^
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • siremoon;418656" said:
    Thomann have recently started sending out free adaptors with mains powered items.  Oh and the PowerPlant Junior is excellent.

:)
    They sent me a free adaptor with a pedal I bought even though there was no PSU. Nice if a bit crazy.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited November 2014
    steamabacus;418594" said:
    The PowerPlant Jnr is excellent value. Be aware, though, that it comes with a hard wired cable with a Euro-style plug. It's a simple matter to cut it off and wire on a UK plug (the inner live/neutral/earth cable colours are UK standard) or else you can get an adapter that fits over the Euro plug (I think Thomann sell them). There's no problem with running it on UK mains voltage as it's 'standardised' across the EU.
    Get the adapter.

I ended up with two: I added to my basket the eu-uk adapter that would fit the PP (it's a rounded and angled plug).

Then they chucked in for free one which wouldn't fit it for standard european plugs.

Both are great adapters: fused, metal pins etc.

Evrn better I reviewed all three items sent and I got the usual 5 euro voucher per item.
  • I've just bought two for my board, they're great, although it doesn't get on with my delaylab for some reason.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited November 2014
    mart said:
    I got the Fame one, and it seems good, but yeah I don't have a lot of respect/trust in music store/dv247, whereas Thomann have been consistently good in my experience.
    Yeah. I never had any problems with DV247 before Musicstore took them over (I only bought a couple of small things, though), but I haven't bought from them since Musicstore bought them.

Also Thomann never sent me any free adaptors :)) I also bought one way back from them and it didn't fit. :)) I've since got ones which did fit, though (from Ebay, not Thomann).

Only slight annoyance with the powerplant jr (which I've just come across recently as I had no need to daisy chain until now) is that the daisy chain is a bit of a silly design (at least for my purposes). Instead of putting the angled jacks on the daisy chain bit (which would save a ton of room on a pedalboard) they put the straight jacks on the daisy chains, which wastes tons of space, especially if some of your pedals have power jacks on the side rather than the top. Also the daisy chain seems to have far more cable length than I need (which again causes problems if trying to maximise space and keep the pedalboard neat)- I suppose some people might appreciate the extra cable length, though.