Clone or Copy

bertiebertie Frets: 13581
guitars seemed to be copies,  amps clones.

Why is that ?
just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is it because they are trying to clone a sound rather than copy a design?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    why cant you copy a sound and clone a design ?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    I normally think of clone as more appropriate for a pedal where a Joyo clone of a TS is pretty much equivalent to an Ibby TS whereas a Vintage copy of a Les Paul is not the same as a Gibbo.
    but even the "loosest"  amps or pedals are referred to as "clones"  and the most detailed original spec guitar is always a copy...........

I just think its a nerdy form of snobbery.  

:D
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I can see why:

a circuit layout is copyright - but the components and schematic are not - so technically it's not a copy because the layout will have to be different. A thing replicating another by virtue of it's components is not intrinsically a copy - just as a clone of a thing isn't guaranteed to be a 100% simulcra of the original.

a guitar design is the product of crafting (even if it's computer programmed CNC) it's goal is to be a faithful recreation of the original - the materials used may differ radically but the shape and intention are what define it.

So there you go chalk and cheese really ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    you say chalk,  I say............. oh no that doesnt work really does it.............
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    In my eyes it's a quality issue. If the quality (or tone, or some other less tangible factor) is the same - clone, if the quality is lower then copy.

Guitar gets copied then someone has looked at the original and made one based on that. Might not sound the same but it LOOKS the same
    Guitar gets cloned then someone has measured absolutely everything, used identical components, sourced wood of the same type from the same place... with pain staking meticulous and rigorous attention to detail you might make it sound the same as well as looking the same.
    Much easier to just copy guitars.

Pedals are electronic devices - use the same components in the same order and the effect should be utterly identical so much easier to make into a Clone and less point just copying it

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73537
    edited September 2013
    It is semantics and I largely agree with bertie that it's down to snobbery, but frankus has it right from a practical point of view. A clone does not have to look like the thing it's a circuit copy of in order to perform the same. (Although in fact layout can make a difference to the sound as well.) Obviously something can be one, the other or both.

I almost always use 'copy' though, since I generally find 'clone' to be TGP-speak. Or 'derivative', or 'knock-off' :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited September 2013
    frankus said:
    Whoever coined the phrase "as different as chalk and cheese" has never shopped for dairy products at Tesco
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    edited September 2013
    frankus said:
    Whoever coined the phrase "as different as chalk and cheese" has never shopped at Tesco
    Yeah... stupid cheese flavoured chalk... bleh!