Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Xmas booze thread

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
edited November 2014 in Off Topic

Now that the horror of Stoptober is a long distant memory its time for me to start ruining my liver again. I think this xmas will have a strong single malt theme as our local Waity's have Glenlivet 12yo on offer for £23 a bottle down from £36

I love booze.

Whats gonna be your xmas weapon of choice? I think I'm shifting away from drinking beer at home. More red wine and whisky for me. I right cultured you know. 

Post up your bargains to inspire a merry chrimbo

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sloe gin - which will probably still be here next Christmas. I've still got two bottles of the stuff kicking around from previous years...it's my favourite drink, but we just don't drink alcohol at home.

In fact, the only booze we use on a regular basis is red wine when we're cooking.

I realise that may make me strange round here.
    <space for hire>
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    just got round to making this years sloe gin (bit late, picked the sloes ages ago but kept forgetting to buy the gin, hope it's not too late), lots of homebrewed beer and wine as well. Will probably get some scotch as well.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• The t'aldi across the road from work have got their t'aldi single malts in too. I think the 18yo is something like £16 a bottle and is supposed to be teh shizzle. Don't think I can justify the £50 on the 24yo one though.

I probably will.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• I never gather enough British Airways air miles point thingies to actually go anywhere so I just converted them into 18 bottles of wine, all riiiiight!

NB I am not planning on drinking 18 bottles of wine before the end of the year. :D

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Beer for me, preferably Doombar, Trooper or Spitfire. I rarely drink at home. Actually I don't drink much at all. (Health reasons)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• None, I don't really drink.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

I have to drink at home, not allowed to go out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    I have to drink at home, not allowed to go out.
    Don't worry Vim, it'll be worth it when the electronic tag comes off.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^I didn't think you were allowed alcohol in Wormwood scrubs?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

why do you think it's homebrewed? Life, aahh, finds a way.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    edited November 2014
    I am going to learn how to do a proper dry martini (gin of course) - twist of lime and some bar-master voodoo with lemon/lime peel and a match that I haven't mastered yet.

That and neat Opihr spiced gin - for which I'm eternally grateful to @Bertie

Doom Bar chasers too ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • One of our suppliers at work always has a wine offer on this time of year, so I usually make my way home for the xmas break with half a dozen bottles of......cheap plonk that invariably ends up being given away as it tastes horrible..Ah well. We often get a bottle of champagne off the boss too, which goes down much better!

I shall have a fizzy wine of some sort on Xmas day, a couple of wines, the odd lager throughout the holidays.. I'll not be giving Oliver Reed a run for his money, put it that way.

got to say (well, I don't but am waiting for the coffee to brew) but don't understand the doom bar love. Been really disappointed in it since we moved down here. When we used to come here in the early to mid 00's it was first rate. but IMO has gone downhill in the years since.

• sloe gin wot I made several months ago

Laphroaig wot I bought recently being on special offer

Highland Park wot I bought on the special offer before the Laphroaig

Graham's Port wot I didn't open last year

Primitivo Red, Erben Kabinett (Riesling mit Praedikat), Gewurztraminer - wot I always keep in stock anyway

Plus if I can get it Talisker when it comes in at a decent price. And the usual gin & mixers.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I never gather enough British Airways air miles point thingies to actually go anywhere so I just converted them into 18 bottles of wine, all riiiiight!

NB I am not planning on drinking 18 bottles of wine before the end of the year. :D

lightweight ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I'm going with a bottle of Old Pulteney (currently on special at Morrisons, £25), and there's a bottle of some Bailey's-type stuff I found at the back of the cupboard. I shall almost certainly get a bottle of Italian Amarone to have with the turkey dinner and a decent port for afters.

Dunno what eveyone else is having, though.

lightweight ;)
    Yes, 10 stone 12 and want to keep it that way! :D
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Knob Creek and JD. Mixed. 1 shot of each. Trust me.

I'm not putting anything called "knob" anywhere near my mouth....

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    ..that's not what Drew told me.